Question's about Network+ what book etc...

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
i am looking to start studying for my network+ and want to order a good book but i am confused now after doing some research here some people are talking about Network+ 2007 objectives and 2005 and the books i am looking at like the Mike Myers and Sybex were made back in 2005/2004 so i am trying to figure out what the deal is with this before i get a book and find out it does not cover the new stuff?

also do you need to know how to subnet for the network+ or do you just need to know what subnetting it?

Comments

• eloskyelosky Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mark076h wrote:
    i am looking to start studying for my network+ and want to order a good book but i am confused now after doing some research here some people are talking about Network+ 2007 objectives and 2005 and the books i am looking at like the Mike Myers and Sybex were made back in 2005/2004 so i am trying to figure out what the deal is with this before i get a book and find out it does not cover the new stuff?

also do you need to know how to subnet for the network+ or do you just need to know what subnetting it?

i was able to scale through using sybex 4th edition and the tech notes here and yes you should know how to subnet for the exam. hope this helps
    Nobody is perfect,including myself,i always admit my mistakes and i am always willing to learn.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I took the 2007 test and used MM's Passport and Exam Cram2 + its accompanying test question booklet. There is also a comptiaa booklet as well, but since it took 2 weeks to get to my house I didnt get to see if it was worth the $12.

You don't need to know how to subnet, but you definitely need to know what it is, and how to identify problems around it.
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    thanks guy's how, now hard hard is this test i am a big networking guy so i am thinking it should be pretty easy with me

is this the right book to get, the Mike Meyers one? http://www.amazon.com/Network%2B-Certification-All-Guide-Third/dp/0072253452/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208390233&sr=8-2

is there a updated book that covers the new stuff?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's the newest one. The exam hasn't been revised since 2005; CompTIA just adds the recent year to whatever test you take.

The Security+ is the same way. If you register for it now, it says 2007 as well, but it's getting it's first revision in years later this year.
  • eg2505eg2505 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    as I passed N+ a couple of weeks ago I can give you sone good advice:
    used exam cram 2 +preplogics 15 min N+ (printed it [about 10 pages])

used this sites technotes (highly recomended)

and one last thing:

DONT GET COCKY!!!!

I also thought I would pass first time round,
    as I also have a father that works with network's all day
    and been working with Computers since age 7 ect..

big mistake!!!

this test has a nasty habit of making you change your answers/doubt yourself

DON'T that's what made me fail.
    (failed 2 times,eventually passes on 3 time, score: 659 icon_lol.gif )

study well, know everything backwards (do a couple of practice tests)
    and dont worry about subnetting (maths scary :) )

(but do know what subnetting/supernetting is :P )

just remember the 3 classes and there ranges (class A,B,C)
    as well as the APIPA and private ranges well

and your OSI model well:
    especially what each layer does and dosent do
    (exam likes to confuse event the best out there)

My own version of the OSI model helps :D
    (read one of my earlier posts) icon_cool.gif

good luck on your exam :D
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    ok i am probally going to go with the Sybex book http://www.amazon.com/Network%2B-Study-Guide-David-Groth/dp/0782144063/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208455891&sr=8-2

and get an exam cram book while i am at it, now should i get the exam cram study guide or the one that has the practice questions?