Driver Signing

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
Hi IT Pro's,

In the group policy object editior, which is the correct node for me to configure driver signing?

I am having problems with my Virtual PC's, for some reason they keep freezing!

Many Thanks,

Raj :)

Comments

• RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
    IT Pro's,

13 Views and no answer?

Come on guys, got exam this monday...
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RS_MCP wrote:
    Hi IT Pro's,

In the group policy object editior, which is the correct node for me to configure driver signing?

I am having problems with my Virtual PC's, for some reason they keep freezing!

Many Thanks,

generally speaking, it depends on your environment. I usually set mine up to "warn", although it depends on what you do. So unless you have it set to BLOCK, this sounds like more of an actual driver issue rather than a signing (let alone GPO) issue.

Your'e 3 options are:

ignore: installs drivers regardless

warn: warns user of unsigned drivers, and user chooses to accept or not

block: Cannot install unsigned drivers at all, AKA can ONLY install signed drivers.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    No, its when I go into 'Computer Configuration' - 'Windows Settings' - 'Security Settings' and driver signing is either the node for 'Local Policies' or 'Restricted Groups'.

This is what I am not sure of?

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RS_MCP wrote:
    No, its when I go into 'Computer Configuration' - 'Windows Settings' - 'Security Settings' and driver signing is either the node for 'Local Policies' or 'Restricted Groups'.

This is what I am not sure of?

oooooooooooooo

follow this path in GPOE
    Computer config/windows settings/sec settings/local policies/security options/Devices: unsigned driver installation behavior.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    So what is the 'Restricted Groups' node all about?

I cant seem to work the bloody dam thing in my Virtual PC's!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks dynamik! Thats exactly the information I need... :)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jesus, dynamik seems you have a huge database (links, info, pictures) for almost everything on IT !!!!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    "Dynamik" is the MAN... bowing.gif
  • andysmegandysmeg Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MobilTech wrote:
    Jesus, dynamik seems you have a huge database (links, info, pictures) for almost everything on IT !!!!!

Or he just knows how to type something into Google unlike some other muppets on here!!!
    andysmeg wrote:
    MobilTech wrote:

Or he just knows how to type something into Google unlike some other muppets on here!!!

Hello Newbie, Welcome to the forum!

The whole point of this forum is so you can get help from other like minded IT Professionals, this is why some of us choose to ignore 'google'.

Thank you for your post! If you need help please feel free to use www.google.com.
    I completely agree but from my limited time reading the forums it seems the answer to the majority of 'simple queries' such as "Where can I find notes on x,y & z?" can be found by either clicking the sticky post at the top of the thread or by 'asking' Google.

If people still can't find what they're after then by all means ask away. I may even chip in with helpful (debateable) stuff from time to time.

RS - I'm in the same boat as you btw. I've passed my 270 and am currently studying towards my 290. I use a mixture of the MS Press books and the Exam Cram books. I have found the Exam Cram's to be brilliant!!

Good luck with your studying.... Andy
    andysmeg wrote:
    I completely agree but from my limited time reading the forums it seems the answer to the majority of 'simple queries' such as "Where can I find notes on x,y & z?" can be found by either clicking the sticky post at the top of the thread or by 'asking' Google.

If people still can't find what they're after then by all means ask away. I may even chip in with helpful (debateable) stuff from time to time.

RS - I'm in the same boat as you btw. I've passed my 270 and am currently studying towards my 290. I use a mixture of the MS Press books and the Exam Cram books. I have found the Exam Cram's to be brilliant!!

Good luck with your studying.... Andy

Nice to know that you also helpfull. Well I got my exam on monday so I dont think I am going to cram anything in last minute...But if I do pass then examcram's sounds good for the 70-291!

Good luck to you Andy!

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are a lot of different opinions on the role of Google in IT.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=215199#215199
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28694

Personally, I use everything at my disposal. I don't consider myself "above" using Google, and if it's the quickest way to get an answer, I'm going to use it. I actually do use it a lot when I need to refer people on these forums to more detailed resources. Not everyone will have the same written resource or a Safari subscription, so I need to find something publicly available. My experience and knowledge also play a significant role in my proficiency with Google. Someone new to the material may not be familiar with the terminology while the appropriate search query would be obvious to someone more experienced. For example, I'm pretty good with the Microsoft stuff, but I couldn't just Google my way through CCIE-level material.
    When I first started out in IT Google was my saviour. I spent hours daily on it searching for the 'answers'. Nowadays I'm not on it as much but it's definately one of the best resources available to us. It's usually my first port of call. After all, it's how I stumbled across this site :D