Options

The benefits of Robert Half Technologies?

I had an interview with Robert Half Technology recently, and they had mentioned that if they did get me a job, I would be receiving benefits (medical, dental, etc) through them, not the ultimate employer. I also remember that the benefits through RHT - well - sucked, and that I might as well go out and pay for medical insurance myelf, which would negate any advantage of a higher salary. Has anyone else seen or experienced this scenario? Also, how long does one have to work with RHT before the benefits of the eventual employer will kick in? If their benefits are really this expensive, and if I had to use them for over 6 mo., I would probably not take the job; I wouldn't be making any more money after the insurance took a big, wet bite out of my paycheck. icon_cry.gif
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't worked through them personally. There was a thread about them some time ago. Just as an observer based on the replies on that thread it looks like they blow and you would be better off seeking gainful employment through some other means.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Personally, after being hired onto my full time position with current employer in which I was first assigned by RHT, I have had a great experience with them. The benefits weren't that great, that is why the hourly pay for a contract position is usually higher, to take that into account. Not sure which office you are going through, but the last job I had ( 8 years with that company), I had used several contract agencies locally to fill positions when I was doing a rollout/migration for clients. They mostly sucked and usually by the 1st to 2nd day I was sending at least half of them back due to "padded" resumes, they wouldn't show up, couldn't follow instructions and/or were always good at trying to pad their timesheets, or no basic knowledge at all by their contractors. I wish at the time I was able to have used RHT services, they seem to the better companies for contract.

Also, they do give you a check for "vacation" after you reach a certain amount of billed hours. Paychecks were always on time too. They also have a good training program from Skillsoft once you take on a contract position, which helps for certifications, and it is online. My office contacts were prompt, called me back, and actually seemed to care about performance.

Contract is a little scary at first, in my case taking a buy out from my last company, I had to retrain myself to the fact that it wasn't a gaurantee of employment. It does motivate a person to do a good job and be professional, although you should always be that way, it makes it a little more personal knowing your performance is the selling point of getting hired on.

Contract is also good, if you need to take some time off, travel, vacations, it allows you to have a little more control of your life/needs if something comes up.

Just my 2 cents however.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    motogpman wrote:
    Personally, after being hired onto my full time position with current employer in which I was first assigned by RHT, I have had a great experience with them. The benefits weren't that great, that is why the hourly pay for a contract position is usually higher, to take that into account. Not sure which office you are going through, but the last job I had ( 8 years with that company), I had used several contract agencies locally to fill positions when I was doing a rollout/migration for clients. They mostly sucked and usually by the 1st to 2nd day I was sending at least half of them back due to "padded" resumes, they wouldn't show up, couldn't follow instructions and/or were always good at trying to pad their timesheets, or no basic knowledge at all by their contractors. I wish at the time I was able to have used RHT services, they seem to the better companies for contract.

Also, they do give you a check for "vacation" after you reach a certain amount of billed hours. Paychecks were always on time too. They also have a good training program from Skillsoft once you take on a contract position, which helps for certifications, and it is online. My office contacts were prompt, called me back, and actually seemed to care about performance.

Contract is a little scary at first, in my case taking a buy out from my last company, I had to retrain myself to the fact that it wasn't a gaurantee of employment. It does motivate a person to do a good job and be professional, although you should always be that way, it makes it a little more personal knowing your performance is the selling point of getting hired on.

Contract is also good, if you need to take some time off, travel, vacations, it allows you to have a little more control of your life/needs if something comes up.

Just my 2 cents however.

Thanks for the info. Btw, do you know how long you were on their benefits before you switched over?
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I started with them last June, I think the benefits can be had once you start your contract. I have benefits through my wife's job, so I didn't even bother on that side. It was also a bargaining tool, during negotiations, which got me the higher pay rate. Everyone's case may be different, but I'm not a slacker, and due to my current employer's feedback, I was able to get an increase in pay as well. Don't sell your self short, but don't be to cocky either, if that makes sense.

The holiday pay started @ 1250 hours and the "vacation" check was at 1500 hrs. They seem to offer higher pay than most other head hunters as well, which is why I ened up going through them as well. Also, they reimburse for certifications after you pass and while being on their books as well, which can be nice.

I was in the process of getting hired on here just a few months after starting, it was my new employer who, due to internal red tape, it took so long to finally get on full time. What ever your pay is if you get the contract position, they usually get on average 30-40 percent above that. They have to make money too, right, but it will give you a heads up of what to seek if the new employer decided to keep you. Even with benefits offered, I would not take on anything lees than what RHT would pay you hourly plus benefits. They talk about benefits...blah,blah,blah. If you look at overall costs, even getting a 10% increase shouldn't be out of the question and the company still saves in the long run.

Good luck man and keep us posted!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!