Options

HP Procurve 2650-PWR - port # is blocked by stp

tunxistunxis Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I couldn't find the topic about HP product. If I'm on the wrong one, I apologized.

I have an HP ProCurve 2650-PWR switch and it's running spanning-tree (RSTP). I have been using this method for 3 years. One of the HP 4345MFC printer is on one of the port on that switch. It's been there for 1 year. Lately via Event Viewer(in the switch) it says port 28(that's where the printer is using) goes thru 3 things every often : Blocked by STP, now off-line, now on-line. The last one says now on-line however I can't telnet nor http to the web interface. I can however ping the device. The port is set to edge-port since there is no switch or router going thru that port. Is there any other suggestion you have that I may have overlooked? Do you think it may be that the network card have gone bad? I have 2 datajacks on the wall. It's called Datajack A and Datajack B. Both are active (plugged into port 27 and 28 respectively). When I noticed it was blocked by STP, I unplugged it from Datajack B and plug it in Datajack A..It works fine - jobs coming out, etc...but then 5 minutes later, nothing is coming out, again. Do you have a suggestion? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vincent

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would try to plug something else into the wallplate where the printer to see if it's the switch or the printer, or possibly a bad patch cable etc. Also check there are no other features on the switch interface that may be causing the problem.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have seen Jet Direct cards setup for only TCP/IP while at the same time having IPX/SPX, Appletalk, DLC/LLC etc all enabled. While this may look as if it wouldn't cause problems, it does. It usually doesn't cause problems immediately, but I have seen them stop communicating on the network until after the protocols not in use were disabled. Check your Jet Direct settings and make sure that you have only TCP/IP enabled and the others disabled.
  • Options
    brian4569brian4569 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tunxis wrote:
    Hi,

I couldn't find the topic about HP product. If I'm on the wrong one, I apologized.

I have an HP ProCurve 2650-PWR switch and it's running spanning-tree (RSTP). I have been using this method for 3 years. One of the HP 4345MFC printer is on one of the port on that switch. It's been there for 1 year. Lately via Event Viewer(in the switch) it says port 28(that's where the printer is using) goes thru 3 things every often : Blocked by STP, now off-line, now on-line. The last one says now on-line however I can't telnet nor http to the web interface. I can however ping the device. The port is set to edge-port since there is no switch or router going thru that port. Is there any other suggestion you have that I may have overlooked? Do you think it may be that the network card have gone bad? I have 2 datajacks on the wall. It's called Datajack A and Datajack B. Both are active (plugged into port 27 and 28 respectively). When I noticed it was blocked by STP, I unplugged it from Datajack B and plug it in Datajack A..It works fine - jobs coming out, etc...but then 5 minutes later, nothing is coming out, again. Do you have a suggestion? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Vincent

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem. Was there ever any resolution to this?