Failed, couple questions

jpasqualettojpasqualetto Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
**BEGIN RANT**
So i used the sybex "deluxe edition" book, read it cover to cover and failed today, 735/764.

This book is totally-inadequate for this exam. I used the sybex for the network+ and linux+ and just experience and passed both of those no-problem. but the security+ took me down.

Reading the whole book cover to cover and taking notes and studying them failing has be very very disapointed. Im using this as resume padding only so its not that important to me but now i am dead-set on getting this exam.

What's an actual book that actually has information on whats on the exam?

Im done with CompTIA and its 'CAQC' qualified bs after i get the security+....

**END RANT**

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I found the Sybex book to the best for me personally, but I also used 3 books. Each book had something in it that was covered better than another book.

The Syngress book is the most in-depth, it does go beyond the scope of the Security+ exam and it is the hardest to read. The Passport book, is a quick and easy read, I think the biggest benefit from the Passport book are the practice tests on the CD. The question style seems to be the closest to the actual exam.

The Sybex book fits nicely between the passport and Syngress book IMO. Easy to read and packed with most of the information you will need to pass.
  • jpasqualettojpasqualetto Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am going to have to disagree.

I just used the sybex book and failed, i read it cover to cover.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Sybex, Exam Cram 2, preplogic audio review, the technotes on this site. I also looked around for more detailed information. I have also had exposure to security topics from other exams and through work.

Be very careful with relying on one book for an exam.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    This exam was not was I was expecting, however, you might want to top off your study with:

* O'Reilly - A+, Network+, Security+ Exams in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference - In a Nutshell
    * Exam Cram 2 - Security+

I found the Exam Cram very focused on the exam and coverage of the objectives, the O'Reilly was a quick guide with a few things missed in the Exam Cram.

Good luck for your next attempt.
  • jpasqualettojpasqualetto Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys,

Im on the fence, i feel too invested to just say screw it, but i dont think its honestly worth the effort.

I'll look into the exam cram series. Thanks
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Unfortunately, those are the dangers of using only a single study-resource for an exam. No matter how "all-in-one" or "in-depth" they are, no single study guide covers all the objectives for any given exam completely and comprehensively for everyone. My advice, pick up a second book, read through it, and make sure you get some hands-on work with a few of the trickier concepts. It's good to read up, but memorization will only get you so far.

Good luck on the retake, we'll all be looking forward to seeing a header reading "I PASSED!!!" from you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I'm using the Sybex book and taking the exam tomorrow.

I'm thinking the Sybex books sucks as well.

A lot of people recommended the book, and it was cheaper then Syngress, so I purchased this book alone.

After reading through the book a few times, the depth of material is very minimal. Hopefully this will be enough to pass tomorrow.

tomorrow I take the exam and I hope I don't fail.

Side note:

I took the CompTIA practice exam on COMPTIA website.
    10 questions...scored 9/10.....I feel confident so far.

The sybex book covered all the objectives, but I don't know of the depth was sufficient.

Thanks
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • jdixon63jdixon63 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sybex = intro; now study Syngress. Together they provide good coverage.

Since you've already gone through sybex, I recommend this process for your prep:
      1. For syngress, a) do chapter test, b) read chapter, then c) re-take chapter test. First take is your baseline; second take is actual performance. 2. For every qn missed, research the Q&A. Don't just memorize; RESEARCH IT! Actually locate it in the book IN CONTEXT, and then cross-reference syngress to sybex to understand IN CONTEXT. 3. Done with Syngress? Take practice exams until you score mid-80s or better on three (3) consecutive ones. (Research missed Q&As as described previously.)
    If you do this, then you will pass with no problem.

Also, I give my own exam experience and advice here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33213
    I also list numerous practice exams. Count techexams 1,2, & 3 as single exam.
    Make sure to download objectives from CompTIA website.

So far I have studied the entire Sybex book.

I think I will pass because I followed the guidelines and understand the basics.

Make sure to take CompTIA practice exam on COMPTIA website.

Also take Techexams well known port exam. I scored 20/20 on well known ports.

Caveat:

Sybex doesn't mention Kerberos port 88. Actually Sybex seems to miss many ports.

I hope the book is good enough to pass. I think it will be.

Good luck.
  • Soloman70Soloman70 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How hard is this test? Can anyone tell me? I was going to study to take it but I dont' know now.

Thanks
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    sybex sec+ coupled with cbtnuggets worked for me.
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
    Update

I failed my first ever exam yesterday by a few points.

I used Sybex alone for study prep and I don't believe it was enough.

Many things appeared on the exam which Sybex didn't cover and which I found other places.

NIPS?

I can't go into specifics, but I plan to take the test again soon.

thank you

If you have the chance buy another book. Most people think Syngress is the way to go.

I wish I would have purchased Syngress as well.

Sybex was good, but not good enough IMO.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    NIPS - Network intrusion prevention system, which is an active system that responds to detected intrusion unlike NIDS - Network intrusion detect system that is passive and only does detection of attempts. Getting down and dirty with snort is great for learning nids/nips.

Best of luck on your next attempt!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jdixon63jdixon63 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Soloman70 wrote:
    How hard is this test? Can anyone tell me? I was going to study to take it but I dont' know now.
    Not hard in the classic sense. The catch, though, is that the exam is an inch deep, but a mile wide.
      * Some of the questions are "easy", requiring the taker, for example, to identify the correct port number, protocol, etc. * Some are a little more challenging; for example, they may require the taker to distinguish protocol roles or vulnerabilities, appropriate use of symmetric vs. asymmetric cryptography, etc. * Others can be down-right mystifying, for example, scenario questions involving access control, IDS, authentication, etc. * Then there are a few that you'll have to flat-out guess because they introduce terminology or concepts you've never seen before, no matter how may refs you used in your prep.
    Goldmember wrote:
    ...I failed my first ever exam yesterday by a few points...Many things appeared on the exam which Sybex didn't cover and which I found other places...I wish I would have purchased Syngress as well....
    Goldmember, keep the faith -- number of takes for 0/1 outcome is irrelevant once you get the 1.

Fyi, I would have been hosed on my exam, too, if I had only used Sybex.
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Comiserations to jpasqualetto and Goldmember - but good luck with your next attempt.

I used Sybex, too - plus an out of date ExamCram. I used SelfTestSoftware for practise tests.

I did pass - but it came as a surprise at the time. I can sympathise entirely with the comments about Sybex. This was the first Sybex book I had used - and one of the reasons why I chose it was that it had the CompTIA logo on the front & rear covers saying "This book has been reviewed and approved as CompTIA Authorized Quality Curriculum (CAQC)."

However, in the exam there were moments when I read questions and thought "I DON'T KNOW THAT!!!"

I suspect that many of the "odd" questions that arise in these exams fall into the "unmarked" category. All very well to try out questions in these situations, but too many can really throw a candidate's confidence.

How would people feel if "officially approved" text books for high school qualifications didn't cover topics which then came up in exams?
    -- Dan
  • trabantcztrabantcz Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I concur, we should class action sybex for our exam fee back, as I failed too.
    Only you can prevent electrical fires with dry powder
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    trabantcz wrote:

I've never read this sybex book but I think in almost every book they recommend multiple sources for the exam, so if you didn't use more then one shame on you. Pick up another book learn the material and give it another go rather then trying to blame a reputable publisher like Sybex. I've only failed one exam before and honestly the reason I did was because I relied on previous experience from months ago and didn't review enough.
    shednik wrote:
    trabantcz wrote:

I've never read this sybex book but I think in almost every book they recommend multiple sources for the exam, so if you didn't use more then one shame on you. Pick up another book learn the material and give it another go rather then trying to blame a reputable publisher like Sybex. I've only failed one exam before and honestly the reason I did was because I relied on previous experience from months ago and didn't review enough.

Sybex did a good job, but its obvious their training material for this exam was lacking.
    They didn't mention Kerberos port #, they didn't mention NIPS, although they talked about NIDS, and they also didn't talk about password crackers by company name. All of these things were on the exam and have been mentioned before.

I don't think there is anything wrong with calling out a company such as Sybex. I have done technical reviews for published books and nobody is perfect, especially a company like Sybex.
    Publishers and companies make mistakes all the time and if people stand up and make note of whats wrong with published material nothing ever happens.

Its borderline arrogance to feel Sybex is immune from professional dislike. I agree that Sybex shouldn't be blamed for failing an exam directly, but they can be blamed for not adequately covering all points of an exam.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Im done with CompTIA and its 'CAQC' qualified bs after i get the security+....

True that. I purchased a book for Network+ that had the CAQC label and it was a piece of garbage. i.e., describing the extinct OSI model as a practical model for implementation...pssshhh.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i am going to have to disagree.

I just used the sybex book and failed, i read it cover to cover.

why would you be disagreeing with megadeth? He is saying is that use more than one resource for this exam; and I couldnt agree with him more. While I think the sybex covers the most of the objectives, its still incomplete by itself. There are not that many people going into this exam and passing with just reading the sybex book. I have been praising sybex+passport books for these exams. It has worked for me, as well as others on the board.

Perhaps im misunderstanding your comment, but either way megadeth is spot on.

good luck on the retake
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security