CCNP 1 Authorized Academy Textbook

singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
I like to know from someone who is enrolled in Cisco Net Academy that what version of curriculum is being taught and if a non academy student can buy academy textbooks, there are text books available for Ver. 3.0 but I doubt it’s the latest. I believe the newer version is 5.0. Those academy textbooks apparently have valuable proprietary information that other Cisco press books lack. I’ve searched every corner of the web but couldn’t find a book on ver 5, makes me believe that Academies have downgraded their curriculum version. The printed edition for ver 5.0 supposed to come out sometime in mid 2007 but never got published.

Comments

• viruscvirusc Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    last month my coworker took bsci from acadamy. He gave me the books after he was done. They are v3.0. I would not worry so much, acadamy books are just cut down self study books and actually contain less material than self study books in general. The current bsci self study book is very good.
  • StovokorStovokor Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    virusc wrote:
    I would not worry so much, acadamy books are just cut down self study books and actually contain less material than self study books in general. The current bsci self study book is very good.

I agree and disagree with this one. I have copies of the academy books for all 4 CCNP exams and when comparing them to the self study guides...I would rather go with the academy material. I find that the abridged nature of the material and the better organization of it allows for more to be absorbed before giving in to the sleep gods. I have read through the section for the BSCI covering EIGRP in both materials and by far the academy books were better for comprehension and memorization. Now you are cut down versions but the parts that they cut down on are needed, IMO, to make the material flow.

I was a Lammle (hope I spelled that correctly) disciple for my CCNA persuits and I found that the academy materials were the closest thing to Lammle as I could get. Well except for CBT Nuggets but that is a different media all together.
  • singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    Academy material stands out due to their approach towards excessive use of maps to explain concept, and writing style which is easy to follow and grasp compare to certification guides. Study guides can be used as an irreplaceable reference along with academy course books for someone who lacks a professional hands-on on actual Cisco gears.
  • singh8281singh8281 Member Posts: 126
    Virusc, What's the complete tittle/ISBN of the book?