Windows Explorer Problem (Windows XP Home)

LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. A friend of mine's computer will not allow him to use windows explorer, control panel or internet explorer. He gets the error mentioned at the bottom when I try to run any of those. The only way I can navigate his computer is through the Run<browse option.

If I log off his master account and on as a guest. Everything works fine. I can use internet explorer, windows explorer, control panel etc.

I was thinking maybe it has something to do with his user profile, since it only occurs when I'm loggd on as his name, but not a guest. Maybe there is some way I can do a repair install? His system is a emachines T4150 and came with windows xp preinstalled and he doesnt have a XP cd. Any Suggestions? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Error:

Windows Explorer (or internet explorer) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Windows Explorer. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.
It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.

Comments

• LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BTW.

I can log on as administrator and use control panel, windows explorer and internet explorer, if I use Safe Mode.

I forgot to mention that when I log onto his account or guest under normal mode, I get some antivirus not configured properly errors.
    While I was in safe mode, McAfee said that file mshta.exe was attempting to run a suspecious script.

I also created another adminstrator account while under safe mode and when I rebooted under normal mode using this account, I had the same problems with windows explorer etc.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Which virus would you like it to be?

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/mshta/

Experts-exchange
    To begin with, MSHTA.exe is an interpreter for the Microsoft Scripting Host, which allows scripts to run in Windows. It is a part of the operating system and should never be removed; it is not a virus or a trojan horse, but it can be used by viruses to cause damage to your software and data

First thing I would do though is start in safe mode and run both Adaware and SpybotSD. Then I would run the online scan at http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

Also check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion - all of the keys that start with run - confirm through google the correctness of the applications.
    I also suggest emptying the Temp and Temp Internet folders in the profile and the Prefetch folder in Windows.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would run Adaware like Russ Said...Remove the spyware then right click my computer and copy a working profile from the advanced tab. But adaware should fix the mess. Also RUN: MSCONFIG and kill Suspicious files on startup.
    Thanks for the help guys. I ran adaware in safemode and it found 104 instances. After removing those, using msconfig and running a antivirus (found a trojan), everything is running great. I used windows update and updated his service packs. Thanks again for you help.