Resources for 70-431: SQL Server 2005

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
70-431 Resources

In preparation for the 70-431 exam (MCTS: SQL Server 2005), I have compiled a list of resources I have used or will be using. Enjoy!

icon_arrow.gif Beginning SQL Server 2005 Programming.
This book serves as an excellent resource for learning the basics of database structure, and uses an excellent balance of introductory and practical material. The first few chapters illustrate the basic components of database design and SQL Server, and then quickly teaches you the most fundamental T-SQL commands. I really like this book because it is very well-written, and builds off of the preceding chapters. If you are a beginner to T-SQL or SQL Server 2005, this is the book you want to start with.

icon_arrow.gif MSPress Self-Paced Training Kit: 70-431
This, like many other MSPress books, is well written and directly lines up with the exam objectives. I particularly found the practice exercises to be useful, because they greatly reinforce the material just discussed. This book also includes a 180-day trial of SQL Server Enterprise Edition, so you don't have to settle with the Express Edition.

icon_arrow.gif SQL Server 2005 Administrator's Pocket Consultant
Serves as an excellent resource for immediate reference in administration of all things SQL-Server. Using this as a book that will be used on the job, and not as primary learning material. At only $14, you truly get a lot of bang for your buck.

That's it for books...however, there are also a TON of free online resources. Here are a few of my favorites:

icon_arrow.gif Free SQL Server Tutorials
This site offers 15 free powerpoints that discuss T-SQL, and are structured in a "lecture style". There are also practice questions that really put your mind to work (with provided solutions). A really nice resource that is 100% free.

icon_arrow.gif SQL Server 2005 Books Online
Microsoft's free documentation on SQL Server. Also available as a download for a local-copy for even faster access and searching. I have already used this resource quite a bit, and have found it to be well laid-out and easy to navigate. A definite must use resource for study and real-world use.

icon_arrow.gif SQL Server Learning Resources
A free series of videos (over 9 hours worth) from Microsoft to help get you going on SQL Server 2005. Superb resource, I highly recommend going through all the videos offered.

Those are the resources I found most helpful. Feel free to add yours :)
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks for sharing icon_thumright.gif

The Pocket Consultant books from Microsoft are usually both useful on the job and to prepare for the exam. Not as your primary study material but the practical approach of the content matches the exam style from Microsoft (some theory, mostly 'tasks'). Good reading material for on the beach/in the park/at starbucks or those quiet hours on the helpdesk.
  • sinistamunkeysinistamunkey Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for these... helping out a lot icon_thumright.gif
    Just because you can... doesn't mean you should.

Next: 70-536 and then THE WORLD!
  • sunny155sunny155 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I am preparing for this exam.
  • savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good afternoon,
    Glad I found this website and forum. Currently training myself in sql server 2005. I have really been busting it the last few months.

I disagree with one of the items listed: the Microsoft Press book. Yes, it is pretty good, the examples shown are very good, though the chapter review and exams contained in the CD, I thought were fluff.

I acquired study and practice test materials from PrepLogic. When I took the first go around with the exams, I had not a clue what they were asking. Completely lost. I was forced to get my head into the SQL Books Online documentation, actually install the evaluation copy of sql server 2005 and play around with it, as well as the other tools and utilities.

The amount of material I have learned and the information acquired has been mind boggling.

I appreciate any comments from you guys.

My intentions is to go with the DB Developer track for cert purposes.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I was forced to get my head into the SQL Books Online documentation, actually install the evaluation copy of sql server 2005 and play around with it, as well as the other tools and utilities.
    You have to install it and work with it or you'll have no shot with the sims.

I started off slow learning, because many of the concepts were new to me.
    You have to install it and work with it or you'll have no shot with the sims.

Oh, yeah..
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did you follow along with the examples/exercises in the MSPress book without actually doing it yourself in SQL Server? The book even comes with a trial version...
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    How did you follow along with the examples/exercises in the MSPress book without actually doing it yourself in SQL Server? The book even comes with a trial version...

I read through the text first. Then fiddled with the installed software. I am somewhat limited in what specific exercises I can(or cannot) do since I just have a single pc with Vista on it and one hard drive.
    Your setup should more adequate...that's really all I used. One thing with Vista + SQL Server is that you need to upgrade SQL Server (a painless process): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb426877.aspx

Again, you don't need an elaborate setup to learn a majority of the topics.
    Your setup should more adequate...that's really all I used. One thing with Vista + SQL Server is that you need to upgrade SQL Server (a painless process): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb426877.aspx

Again, you don't need an elaborate setup to learn a majority of the topics.

Yes, I was aware that I needed SP2... installed it... no problems, painless.

I believe to do the Log Shipping/Mirroring, these may not work with a single default instance installed, though I have to re-read the text to see how they address this.

Appreciate your feed back...
    Yeah, you can still play with log shipping, you just might not be able to implement it completely(same with mirroring). You need separate database instances/servers for the primary/secondary/monitor servers. I also believe Log Shipping isn't available on express edition.

At the very least, become familiar with the different roles in database mirroring, the operating modes, and the process used to setup with and without a witness server. For log shipping, understand each component (primary database, secondary database, primary server, etc). Access rights for the agent is also a need-to-know (when and where are read and read/write rights required).
    Yeah, got all those bases covered... though correct me if I am in error, but I believe the CD contains the Enterprise Edition good for 180 days. There is nothing that I have seen as I poke around that indicates otherwise.

I was thinking of doing another install but using a "named instance", darn it, I am really busy...LOL

Appreciate the feedback...thanks...
  • sunny155sunny155 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also Add CBT Nuggets to your list. Thats very very helpful.
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Hello Beaver,

Thank You for including this information.

I have a question for anyone who has used the free website tutorial lessons to get an introduction to T-SQL.

The author includes the lessons, powerpoints, and labs while not including the 'Pubs' database to actually do the labs. I'm emailing the author about this, but I wanted to see if anyone has a copy of the "Pubs" practice database for the labs?

I'll let everyone know the results of the email also.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Sorry about that. I just found the PUBS database:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06616212-0356-46A0-8DA2-EEBC53A68034&displaylang=en

That's for anyone else who wants to practice.

I did notice one other thing. The full course has 42 units on the syllabus. Has anyone purchased and used it for the website free lessons?
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great info! icon_cheers.gif

Why isn't this a sticky? :D
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I second the sticky. I have been getting a lot of PMs and refering them here.

So **BUMP**
  • geeveegeevee Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the bump! This is a brilliant list of resources and I shall be using all of them in my quest for SQL 2005 certification :)