First Post Looking for General Advice

nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

In September I will be undertaking a masters course "MSc Network Professional" for 13 months.
This course also includes the CCNA.

I have 4 months until the course starts and I was curious (Looking at all your qualifications!!!) Which would be good to take on over the next 4 months and also which I could fit into my course when it starts.

I have an interest in networking and systems, and really want to have many options and a good wage when I start.

Any advice would be much appreciated??

Thanks

:D

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's your current level of experience/technical knowledge?

If you're a beginner, you might want to look at the Network+, and start developing a foundation for the CCNA.

What does the rest of the program cover?
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I agree with dynamik, If you intersted in the CCNA and you dont have any certs currently i would bgin with the Network+ as well. Its a good stepping stone to CCNA and will lay a good foundation on how topologies work.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheers,

I have a general understanding but in the technical world I would come accross as a Beginner.

The rest of the Masters course would cover,

Networking modules
    • LAN design and implementation • internetworking switches and routers • WAN design and implementation

Other modules
    • IT project management • change management and systems implementation • web application design and modelling • network security • wireless networks • professional integrative project

Dissertation

And as I mentioned the CCNA

The Network qualification you mention, is that the CompTIA one? How long would this take to prepare for?

Lets say I have 20 free hours a week
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CompTIA A+/Network+ for beginner...

Then if you job is related to Novell, then move to CNA/CNE, Cisco move to CCNA/CCNP, MS product, then move to MCSA/MCSE.

For advanced level certification which depend on your professional career in the field, SANS, CISSP, CCIE ...etc

However, a MS degree on CS/IS or MBA also help.

The most important is experience.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn