Options

How valuable are certs and which will I need

DaikosDaikos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello just looking for some general information right now. In about a year I'll be graduating from RIT with a degree in Applied Networking and Systems Administration with plans on enterting the working world as a Sys Admin.

I've just now started really reading up on IT Certs and was wondering which ones I should start thinking about. Obviously I wouln't be getting any until I'm closer to graduation but I'd like to at least begin studying for them.

I've got a pretty strong knowledge of networking/various systems/security so I'm not sure which exams are right for me?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    What certs are included on your course?
  • Options
    DaikosDaikos Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hetty wrote:
    What certs are included on your course?

RIT doesn't provide any certs during our time here. The course focuses more on understanding the core concepts of things like routing / switching / wireless networking / system administration/ i could go on for a while.

We use a variety of cisco products and assorted OSs. The school shys away from doing any cert since it doesn't want to show favoritism towards any one vendor.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    A+, Network+, MCDST or MCITP:EST & XP or Vista exams. You should be able to knock them out quickly.

After that at least 290, 291 for MCSA or you could go with MCITP for Server 2008 instead, probably look in to getting CCENT & CCNA if thats the kind of material youve been studying.

Security+ is a popular and useful exam for electives for MCSA & MCSE. You kind of need a trail of certs & some experience up to MCSE & CCNA. Start with the top ones first. You can get a lot done within a year if you put your mind to it. Your main decision is if you want to get MCSE and then upgrade to the Server 2008 certs, or just get the Server 2008 certs.

Try to get some experience doing small jobs where you can get them, if you are not working in IT at the present.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you already have the knowledge of Cisco Systems / Networking / etc... and that is what you like to do, I would suggest you stay along that path. If you like the networking side, I would suggest you begin with a Network+ cert, then build on that knowledge (in which you may already possess), and move onto CCNA and so on and so forth. But, the biggest thing imo is to figure out what you like to do and then choose your path from there.

You also mentioned you had some basic security background, you can also look into going the security route by beginning with the Security+ exam. From there, you have a plethora of options in which to choose as well. Here's a link in which Keatron (Moderator of Security) on this site lists some very good steps in which to take certifications to advance your career in security.

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31353

Hope this helps...

Good luck in your journey and I wish you well in school!!!!

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most importantly, if possible you need to get a job or internship, NOW, even if it's part time or unpaid. That will set you apart from the majority who are also fresh graduates with a couple of certs and no real world experience.

I would also work on entry level networking certs soon. Network+ is a good generalized network cert.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Daikos wrote:
    The school shys away from doing any cert since it doesn't want to show favoritism towards any one vendor.
    Favoritism towards cert vendors or product vendors? Have you actually experienced problems because you favored one vendor over another? If not, why do you think marketing with a popular selection of certs would cause any problems?