Custom Application Partition in Child Domains?

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
I have no problems creating custom application partition in the parent domain (nwtraders.net).

Is it possible to create custom application partitions in child domains?

Every time when I try and create one I get an error message:

dnscmd mkdc1 /createdirectorypartition a
pp1.marketing.nwtraders.net
Create directory partition failed: app1.marketing.nwtraders.net
status = 9906 (0x000026b2)

Command failed: DNS_ERROR_DP_FSMO_ERROR 9906 (000026b2)

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Error 9906
    The application directory partition operation failed. The domain controller holding the domain naming master role is down or unable to service the request or is not running Windows Server 2003.

Are you familiar with the FSMO roles?
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    dynamik wrote:
    Error 9906
    The application directory partition operation failed. The domain controller holding the domain naming master role is down or unable to service the request or is not running Windows Server 2003.

Are you familiar with the FSMO roles?

I am not.

Where can I find more information?
    Administrative Tools > Active Directory Domains and Trusts > Right-click on "Active Directory Domains and Trusts" (left pane) > Operations Master...

That machine needs to be able to contact the machine that's listed as the domain naming operations master. If you want, you can transfer the role to another machine if the one listed is still active, or you can seize it with ntdsutil if the machine is no longer accessible.
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    dynamik wrote:
    Administrative Tools > Active Directory Domains and Trusts > Right-click on "Active Directory Domains and Trusts" (left pane) > Operations Master...

That machine needs to be able to contact the machine that's listed as the domain naming operations master. If you want, you can transfer the role to another machine if the one listed is still active, or you can seize it with ntdsutil if the machine is no longer accessible.

It is still not working.

I transfered the Operations Master to marketing.nwtraders.net.

I ran dnscmd mkdc1 /createdirectorypartition app1.marketing.nwtraders.net.

I still get the same error message about DNS_ERROR_DP_FSMO_ERROR.
    Try running dcdiag (support tools on CD) and see if that gives you any errors.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a thought, but do you have an A record somewhere for App1? That might be conflicting.

Also, try doing a dcdiag /fix and a netdiag /fix. I would also try restarting the netlogon service on the DC you are running this command from, a DC in your forest root (if you have multiple domains), as well as the Domain Naming Master.

Then try doing an ipconfig /flushdns, nbtstat -R, nbtstat -RR, ipconfig /registerdns, and a dnscmd /clearcache on the DC you are running this command from as well as the server that is the Domain Naming Master.

Also, make sure time is in sync (within 5 minutes) on the system you are running the command against and the Domain Naming Master. If not, w32tm /resync.

Wait a few minutes (15-20 minutes if you have separate sites) then give it a try after you did all of the above and see if it helps.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any luck?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks