Exam... OSPF LSA types?

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Hey techies...

I can't seem to come up with a system to remember the LSA types (11 of them). Sure, type 1 is router, 2 is network, but really, for those of you who actually run OSPF networks (I've only ever worked in EIGRP environments), how important could that info possibly be!?!?!

Now for a nudge/nudge wink/wink kind of question for you pro's who've taken the BSCI... how much time should I spend trying to memorize the types?

Preciate it.
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Knowing the different kind of LSAs is important for better understanding how the different type of stub areas differ from each other.

I noticed the BSCI study guide only mentions LSA1-5+7.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you'll be good with LSA 1 - 5 and LSA 7. I have only seen higher LSAs in CCIE books.
  • happy420goluckyhappy420golucky Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikearama wrote:
    Hey techies...

I can't seem to come up with a system to remember the LSA types (11 of them). Sure, type 1 is router, 2 is network, but really, for those of you who actually run OSPF networks (I've only ever worked in EIGRP environments), how important could that info possibly be!?!?!

Now for a nudge/nudge wink/wink kind of question for you pro's who've taken the BSCI... how much time should I spend trying to memorize the types?

Preciate it.
    Mike

I work in a production that is uses OSPF and ibgp and ebgp. Unfortunately, upon arriving to this network they are doing two way redistribution between OSPF and BGP and I am at the mercy of others. So I end up having to know what lsa's 1-7 and contantly look at the ospf database to figure out what somebody is doing to help them fix their mistake. So in short, I would say that you definitely need to know lsa's 1-7 EVEN IN A WORKING ENVIRONMENT. bUT that is just my take on it. Tootles
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the thing that helped me was just remembering where they are generated
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Thanks gents.

A follow up... the LSDB Overload Protection "feature" (pfft!). Anyone actually use the max-lsa command and configure the ignore-time and ignore-count options?

Seems like a command that lets mickey-mouse admins get away with shoddy work, imo. I don't know how to summarize networks properly at my ABR's, so I'll just set the max-lsa and be off the hook.

Am I reading it right?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    yukky wrote:
    Knowing the different kind of LSAs is important for better understanding how the different type of stub areas differ from each other.

I noticed the BSCI study guide only mentions LSA1-5+7.
    nudge/nudge wink/wink
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikearama wrote:
    Hey techies...

Preciate it.
    Mike

I don't know about the exam these days as I took the CCNP routing test in 2001. But in terms of 3rd line support of networks running OSPF and certainly network design work knowing your LSA types is very helpful!