*TechLabs* CCNA

Comments

• oliverwoliverw Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using this forum for knowledge for the past two months so best say thanks :D .

Been a great help in setting up my lab and troubleshooting.
  • atifmalik81atifmalik81 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi there, I m a new user of this forum. Indeed this forum helped me alot. Hopefully it will remain helping me on all the way in all the time. Absolutely nice work!
    Atif M. Malik
  • flfl Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Below you will find our a list of our current CCNA TechLabs. ....

icon_arrow.gifSwitch Configuration Basics *new*

Just wanted to let you know that on http://www.techexams.net/citechnotes.shtml the link to "Switch Configuration Basics" points to the wrong URL! The one posted above works.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Fixed. Thanks for letting me know!
  • DisintoDisinto Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,

Thank you for this perfect Frame Relay lab. I've done a FR lab in my university this morning, and I must admit that nothing was explained, and I've was a bit confused.

I have some question though :
    - You list the IP mappings, assuming that they are correctly learned via Inverse ARP. Does IARP always work ? In which cases should we enter static IP mappings ?
    - You are using a single router as an FR switch. Is it equivalent to two routers connected via a back to back X.21 cable and using NNI interfaces ? Then, defining DLCI forwarding for each.
    - What about using OSPF or RIP over FR ? My lab technical sheet says using "no keep-alive" (interface) and "ip ospf network broadcast" (interface) [for OSPF). Why ?

Thank you !
    Best regards,
    Florian
  • kafifi13kafifi13 Member Posts: 259
    Hey these are great!!!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I just uploaded a new TechLab covering Cisco Discovery Protocol in detail. I already wrote a TechNotes for CDP a long time ago, but this one is a bit more extensive and obviously from a more practical angle.

icon_arrow.gifCisco Discovery Protocol TechLab

You don't need to use the exact same network setup as I did, and command output may vary slightly because of IOS differences. I wrote this lab as part of something else I hope to release soon and will include many more labs.

Johan
  • redgrenredgren Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I attempted to do the RIP Techlab using a 2610 and a 2620 router and I'm having trouble with the serial connection.

I followed the lab here: http://www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/lab_1_rip.shtml. I have router A connected to router B with a DCE/DTE crossover cable. With this configuration and addressing scheme, I can't ping from router A to router B. I can ping from Host A to the serial interface on Router A and from Host B to the serial interface on Router B.

When I do a show ip route, the routing table shows a direct connection to the other router so that leads me to believe its not a physical connection issue. I.E. Router A shows network 192.168.11.0 connected, 192.168.22.0 connected and 192.168.22.6 connected. On both routers I get up and up.

I've double and triple checked to make sure that the router that is connected to the DCE end of the cable has the clock rate set on the serial interface, I've tried to change the address scheme to use a /30 network address on the serial link.

At this point I'm just not sure what to do to get it to work. Any advice? Anyone see what i'm doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Bob
  • pabloCr84pabloCr84 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Because of what Router A shows I think the problem is that you haven't configured RIP on router B.

When you do the sh ip route command on router A you should have 192.168.11.0 and 192.168.22.0 as directly connected a 192.168.33.0 as rip.

something like this:
    C 192.168.11.0
    C 192.168.22.0
    R 192.168.33.0

So I suggest you entering this on router B:

RouterB(config)#router rip
    RouterB(config-router)#version 2
    RouterB(config-router)#network 192.168.22.0
    RouterB(config-router)#network 192.168.33.0
    RouterB(config-router)#end

If you're using the subnet mask /30 there shouldn't be any problem since Rip Version 2 is classless.
    But the original one in the lab works perfectly.
  • redgrenredgren Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pabloCr84 wrote:
    Because of what Router A shows I think the problem is that you haven't configured RIP on router B.

When you do the sh ip route command on router A you should have 192.168.11.0 and 192.168.22.0 as directly connected a 192.168.33.0 as rip.

something like this:
    C 192.168.11.0
    C 192.168.22.0
    R 192.168.33.0

So I suggest you entering this on router B:

RouterB(config)#router rip
    RouterB(config-router)#version 2
    RouterB(config-router)#network 192.168.22.0
    RouterB(config-router)#network 192.168.33.0
    RouterB(config-router)#end

If you're using the subnet mask /30 there shouldn't be any problem since Rip Version 2 is classless.
    But the original one in the lab works perfectly.

Thanks for your reply.

I did have RIP configured on Router B, and i did expect an output like you showed when I do a "show ip route". I just wiped out both routers and reconfigurd again for the 3rd time and now it works, so obviously I did something wrong that I couldn't see the first time around.

Before I reconfigured the result of the show ip route on Router_A was:

C 192.168.11.0/24 is directly connected, ethernet 0/0
    C 192.168.22.6/32 is directly connected, serial 1/0
    C 192.168.22.0/24 is dorectly connected, serial 1/0

but I had no RIP entry.

On Router_B the show ip route displayed:

C 192.168.22.5/32 is directly connected, serial 0/0
    C 192.168.22.0/24 is directly connected, serial 0/0
    C 192.168.33.0/24 is directly connected, ethernet 0/0
    and again, no RIP entry.

But as I said earlier, after reconfiguring again it is working. I appreciate you're trying to help. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue.
    Bob
  • Cyrus3vCyrus3v Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :D

A big thanks for all this TechLabs. They are really useful.
    Ad Augusta Per Angusta
  • iyalmelaniyalmelan Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    According to our site's traffic statistics, the first "TechLab" is currently being visited by more people than any of our TechNotes or practice exams... still I have had no comments here... Should I create more of these? Should I add or change anything?

Hi Johan,

Great work ! btw, how do i get access to one of available router simulator around here? I want to have a chance of learning BGP, OSPF, bandwidth controlling etc... Thx in advance

-YAL-
    Regards;
    Support Team
  • wxbosswxboss Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a great resource!

I've just bidded for two 2501 on eBay, and once (if) I get them, I'll be following the rest of the instructions to get started.

Thanks again for the time and effort you put into this.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Nice work on the labs!! Any chance of seeing any Inter-VLN or Router on a Stick type labs? I have a lab at home but use Pakcet Trace 4.1 at work to study in my spare time.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • rejith_m_krejith_m_k Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea all the labs are very interesting to study icon_lol.gif but i feels something missed in the lab section of frame relays.. it's about setting the dlci number in end routers... :)

how can i set the dlci number in end routers???
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beats me, i wanna do the CCNA in a year or so... so this sort of thing is appreciated!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Matt_ChrisMatt_Chris Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is useful.. :D
    tO bE or nOt tO bE..
  • dclong06dclong06 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    According to our site's traffic statistics, the first "TechLab" is currently being visited by more people than any of our TechNotes or practice exams... still I have had no comments here... Should I create more of these? Should I add or change anything?

Definitely like being able to come to the site and work thru the simulations... create as many more as you like, I'm sure I'll use them all. Thanks again for the effort... Would like to see some VoIP simulations.
  • mincolmincol Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I follow the diagram and direction on my BOSON simulator, but all serial interfaces go down, of course, even protocol. Could anyone please give me some advice why it may cause the problem ?? Thanks

I was trying three times and got the same result. icon_sad.gif
    CCNA 640-802 certificated
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mincol wrote:
    I follow the diagram and direction on my BOSON simulator, but all serial interfaces go down, of course, even protocol. Could anyone please give me some advice why it may cause the problem ?? Thanks

I'd suggest you try something besides BOSON. The last time I tried to use it there were so many bugs it wasn't worth it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Septima77Septima77 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a wonderful lab.
    I think I noticed a small typo:

[SIZE=-1]STEP 3. Configure the frame relay switch's interfaces

Enter interface configuration mode for the first connected serial interface, e.g. serial 0:
    frame-switch(config)# interface serial 0

I think this should be serial 1

Setting this lab up in Boson; many thanks
    [/SIZE]
    To quit press start
    mincol wrote: »

I have exactly the same problem in Boson.
    After configuring exactly according the lab instructions, this is what I get

frame-switch#sh int se1
    Serial1 is up, line protocol is down
    LMI DLCI 0 LMI type is ansi frame relay
    DTE

Boson will not set DCE, so protocol is down,

Are there any good simulators that will get this right?
    Don't have the financial resources now to buy 3 more routers and cables.
    To quit press start
    Okay,
    I have this lab working in RouterSim's CCNA network visualizer 6.0 with 3 x 2621 routers and a 2811 router for frame switching.
    Thank you for this nice exercise.
    :D
    To quit press start
  • demy12oyindemy12oyin Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I discovered this few days before my CCNA exam, it is really good and great.

Keep it up.icon_lol.gif

Ade CCNA Studenticon_cheers.gif
  • udaykumar.asudaykumar.as Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice site and very very thanks to you , its almost working like the original lab thanks again
  • deyin.chendeyin.chen Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    really helps, thanks.:)
    David Chen
    NetBrain Technologies, Inc.
    NetBrain Workstation-Instant dynamic network diagramming via map
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cisco_girlcisco_girl Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Although this was posted in 2002, it's still very helpful. I just finished the 'Configuring a RIP network' lab and am stoked it worked!

I thought maybe there would some issues since one of my hosts is on Linux and the other is on WinXP, but it was fine.

On to the next one! These are great. Post more!

icon_cheers.gif
  • fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey - I was looking over the guides and just want to say they are great!

Would this kit be suffice to get started for CCENT/CCNA just looking for some opinions?

Cisco Dual 2501 8/8 Router CCNA Kit

Cheers
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Does this seem to good to be true:
    Cisco WS-C3550-48-SMI Switch 3550 with EMI 50 Qty Avail - eBay (item 170406533981 end time Dec-13-09 06:31:02 PST)

I'm looking for a layer 3 switch and this looks like a good deal. Any advice from the experts?
  • darkdiablodarkdiablo Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This site is great, it is helping a lot of people like me to get some practice.... keep it up guys, in any case that I would be more glad then I'm willing to post some of my study documents like, CCNA1, CCNA2, 3, 4. Even with Microsoft 2000 server, 2003 and etc........