CCNP voip lab?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey voice gurus

what is the minimum i need for a voip lab for ONT in the CCNP exam.

i have no clue what I would need to make sure I understand the Qos etc..

what maybe

1 voip phone
1 voip router ( i have a 831 soho router that i think works with Qos)

thanks

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The absolute minimum equipment you'd need for voip in the ONT is nothing. The 2 VoIP tasks in the VoIP Section of the ONT exam are both "describe" tasks.
    Describe Cisco VoIP implementations.

* Describe the functions and operations of a VoIP network (e.g., packetization, bandwidth considerations, CAC, etc.).

* Describe and identify basic voice components in an enterprise network (e.g. Gatekeepers, Gateways, etc.)

You could toss in a couple of IP Phones into your lab (like 2 7940s for under $100) so that you could generate some RTP traffic for the QoS portion.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mike
    thank you very much

yeah i have:

3 2520s (1 i made into frame switch - works great)
    1 2501
    1 2511 (love it)
    1 1200 wifi AP
    1 501 pix
    1 2610
    2 2950 cat
    1 2924 XL
    1 831 soho

i think i have enough for ccnp
    i am taking my ccna 802 this august
    taking maybe longer than i should but gonna make sure
    i can CCNP is going to be tough but i think i want to do ccnp before say ccvp
    just think it would be good foundation ;)
    thanks
    does this lab look okay for ccnp???mike what you think
    itdaddy wrote:
    does this lab look okay for ccnp???
    You're good for the CCNA, and for the MPLS in the CCNP you can use Dynamips/Dynagen.... so it looks like you're also covered for the CCNP.

A layer 3 switch like the 3550 would be nice to have for the CCNP, but the bang for the buck ratio isn't that great. But the longer you wait, the cheaper they should get. A couple of rack rental sessions is probably enough once you get into the CCNP.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-CP-7910-IP-Phone-VOIP-7910_W0QQitemZ300216911500QQihZ020QQcategoryZ61841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    mike i saw this phone for sale; i am going cheap as long as i can get them to work or
    dow hat you said i need 2 ip phone for 50.00 to do what i need them to do...

hey if i wanted to get them working i would need something like a pbx or something?
    to take the analog from rj11 to rj45? (analog to eithernet) from within my house
    say rj11 to some box to converto ethernet to my voip phones? can i do this cheap or no dice?

thanks on the home lab the dynamips or dynagyn those are real cisco images on a pc is that right ran wih the program ? i upload actuall cisco device images to this program and it creates a virtual device that is networkable?? is that what the dyna program does. i have played with it briefly only.

thanks so much for your help ;)
    For the CCVP you'd want 7940s, 7960s, or newer..... but you can still use the older phones as part of your PSTN Cloud and "outside phones." I probably wouldn't pay more than $20 each plus shipping

You'd need a VIC-2FXO in a voice router if you wanted to connect your home phone line to your IP Phones, and a VIC-2FXS if you wanted to plug in and use your regular analog house phones as part of a home VoIP network. Or you can mix 'n match if you studied for the CCVP CVOICE exam and figured all this stuff out :D

Dynamips emulates the MIPS Processor, so it can "run" the Cisco IOS binary file (for several of the MIPS based Cisco Routers) -- and it simulates the hardware. I think I have some Dynamips/Dynagen links in the CCNP FAQ. Dynagen is a front end for Dynamips that makes it easier.

GNS3 is the memory/cpu hog graphical front end for Dynamips that real Cisco people don't talk about in the CCNP forum :D
    Mike
    holy crap
    i think i might wait till i am a bigger boy! sounds fun though!

the dynamips/GNS3 you need a real cisco binary file right? and where do I get those?
    dont they cost B$$$$ money?
    itdaddy wrote:
    the dynamips/GNS3 you need a real cisco binary file right? and where do I get those?
    Haven't you backed up your existing IOS files to your PC for safe keeping?

Dynamips does support the 2600 series routers.

Dynamips (and Dynagen) can run on a PC.

I'll let you put 2 and 2 together and find your own solution... :D
    mike

yeah i have backed all my config files and binary image files
    you thought I forgot haahha no way jose; i have learned my lesson
    i am backup king! i use (love it)pumpking TFTP server to transport to my RAID set
    all my backups ;)

i am confused a bit now why would i do that and not use the devices i have unless
    i can use same image to create more than one virtual device?? maybe huh
    i will try it thanks fo ryou time and effort in helping me

:D

mike you crack me up
    I'll let you put 2 and 2 together and find your own solution...

hahhhah 2 and 2 you make me laugh; okay i will go through my channels ;hee hee
    i hate being bad! but only to support cisco in the long run! really....that is all :D