First Step

nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am taking the first step down the path with the CompTIA A+ qualification.
I just have a few questions that their website doesnt seem to answer or I cant find.

1. I understand there are 4 modules

Essential

Out of the 3 optional ones what would be best for me as I have a network interest?

Do you have to pay for each one individually? $160 each Total $320
(Also is their any way of bringing down the cost?)

Finally is the Myers 6th Edition book all I will need?

Thanks
:D

Comments

• jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Most people go the 602 route because if you get a helpdesk job or a geek squad type job it tests for the proper skills related to those aforementioned jobs. It doesn't go to in depth with networking regardless of the ones you choose, but I'd go with the 602. Unfortunately, you do have to pay for both exams seperately. I know there are some good discount sites mentioned on here that you can check out. I used Sybex Study guide and it worked well, I've heard good things about Meyers. That should be plenty regarding theory. You may also want to get your hands on some old PC's so you can take them apart. Good luck!
  • nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats for the info,

Also do you have to sit them at the same time? And if you can is it reccomended?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Nope, you can take them separately, but it seems like most people take them at the same time. There is so much overlap between the information that there really is no point not to take them at the same time. Plus it is much more satisfying walking out knowing you've got that certification. I took them both at the same time and would completely recommend it. Just make sure you're not sick the same day as well. :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    I took them both at the same time as well, there is a lot of similar information that overlaps between the two. It doesn't take you very long to finish if you know you're stuff, so I'd recommend taking both of them the same day.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    nezzy456 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I am taking the first step down the path with the CompTIA A+ qualification.
    I just have a few questions that their website doesnt seem to answer or I cant find.

1. I understand there are 4 modules

Essential

Out of the 3 optional ones what would be best for me as I have a network interest?
    The IT technician role seems to be the most well-rounded, and would probably serve you best in the long-run. The Depot tech role is more of a CompUSA/Best Buy type of PC technician path, and the remote-support tech role looks to take you down the path towards helpdesk and callcenter type of work. While neither of these seem bad, it just makes more sense to me to work towards the goal that gives you an intro to more sysadmin-like training, especially if you're heading towards Network+ and beyond.
    nezzy456 wrote:
    Finally is the Myers 6th Edition book all I will need?
    In addition to that book, I'd pick up at least one more study guide. I've heard good things about the Sybex book, as well as the All-in-One guide. No matter what, it's always good to have a couple of resources, as well as some hands-on experience, before tackling any IT exam. No matter how much people say "it's an easy test, just read the book and take it". It might be easy for them, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy for you.

Good luck with your A+ journey, as well as the road ahead of it. We look forward to seeing you around on the forums, so don't be afraid to post up questions, comments, or geeky humor, as you see fit.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.