Is an MCSE still perceived as prestigous?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm wondering if in addition to experience, an MCSE is still seen as important and valubale as it used to be. I know there are other factors that makes a candidate valuable, but how much of a difference MCSE should make (all other things being equal).

It seems to me that nowadays almost any IT job (exlcuding programmers) asks for an MCSE as if it were too easy to gain. So, is MCSE seen as a skills that falls under "other" skills are as "the" skill?

Edit: The reason I mention is 'cause I'm studying for 70-291 and it's a 700-page book. If we sweat days and nights to learn about 4,000 pages and crunch with hardware/software, an MCSE deserves serious importance.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it's important. I think it is still worth a lot, but I wouldn't consider it "highly valuable" as it once was, there's so many MCSE's out there now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I still think its the the skill for admin work, but by itself its not worth as much. You could say that about CCNA as well. But if you start to add a few certs together it starts to paint a well rounded person technically, add that to experience and its all good.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    binarysoul wrote:
    I'm wondering if in addition to experience, an MCSE is still seen as important and valubale as it used to be. I know there are other factors that makes a candidate valuable, but how much of a difference MCSE should make (all other things being equal).

I would say that an MCSE would generally make an enormous difference if everything else is equal. You can't go anywhere and do anything simply because you have an MCSE, but it is a well-respected credential, and it would certainly give you an edge in such a situation.
    binarysoul wrote:
    It seems to me that nowadays almost any IT job (exlcuding programmers) asks for an MCSE as if it were too easy to gain. So, is MCSE seen as a skills that falls under "other" skills are as "the" skill?

I would say that this is either a case of people not knowing what an MCSE is and just throwing it out there, or that network complexity has increased so much that an MCSE is necessary in most circumstances.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally believe that an MCSE is still a very good thing to have. Is it the ultimate? probably not. i think its been slightly diminished by the fact there is so many now and sadly many without much experiance. i dont like how many job ads post an MCSE as a requirement for a helpdesk job for example - it drives me crazy and i believe it all has a lot to do with HR screening etc.

Overall i do believe its one of the "must have" certs if your going the sys/network admin route as it will hold goodstead with other certs like ccna/p alongside it.

For me the only problem with the microsoft route (and a few other OS's) is alot seems to be getting "dumbed down" if you know what i mean. does anyone agree or am i about to be stoned to death in the courtyard? :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nel wrote:
    I personally believe that an MCSE is still a very good thing to have. Is it the ultimate? probably not. i think its been slightly diminished by the fact there is so many now and sadly many without much experiance. i dont like how many job ads post an MCSE as a requirement for a helpdesk job for example - it drives me crazy and i believe it all has a lot to do with HR screening etc.

Overall i do believe its one of the "must have" certs if your going the sys/network admin route as it will hold goodstead with other certs like ccna/p alongside it.

For me the only problem with the microsoft route (and a few other OS's) is alot seems to be getting "dumbed down" if you know what i mean. does anyone agree or am i about to be stoned to death in the courtyard? :D

I think youre right. Its not the 'end-all 'be-all' credential as it was once perceived. In fact, I dont think there are many certs like that anymore. However, I think it still holds up well. I can tell you now that the MCSE (and MCSA) track has taught me numerous things I wouldnt have thought of without.

I think you could compare certs like you can with study material. Its always best to use more than one study source much like having more than one cert; to be more versatile and well prepared for the tasks ahead.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    nel wrote:
    Ehh, all right. Two points, two flats, and a packet of gravel icon_lol.gif

If you mean Vista Vs XP. I think it might be better in the long run. You can still go for the harder stuff with the new Server 2008 exams. If you want the equivalent of MCSE with messaging then you have to take 3 Exchange 2007 exams. And there is talk of Microsoft doing security certifications to be an equivalent of MCSE with security. Some things that are tested are useless in the real world and seem to be put in to make the exams artificially harder. That only makes it an easier excuse for people to choose the cheating route in my mind. Make the exam process a little easier and maybe people wont choose as much to ****. If it doesnt work, they can always revise the exams to be harder.