powerful server

cr33pcr33p Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
OK... So I recently got my hands on a very powerful server which i have sitting here at my house. It's an HP, (hyperthreaded) 8 processor (not sure the speed offhand... haven't turned it on yet), with 32gb of ram...

I want to know what kind of things you would do with such a powerhouse server. I thought about running some rainbow tables, but that isn't all that exciting... any ideas?

Comments

• hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Geez, how do you just get your hands on one of them?

You could :

1. Dim the lights in your local neighbourhood.
    2. Find cures for Cancer & AIDs
    3. Help model global warming possibilities
    4. Find 'aliens'

Check the list of other distributed computing projects if that stuff interests you. Otherwise youve got a kick ass lab machine there, but you are going to have to use 2003 Enterprise to use the full 8 processors and 32Gb of RAM. Thats going to suck up a lot of juice!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hyper-V imo! That is of course if the server has support for it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOW... that is a heck of a server to get your hands on for a home lab... look into Protein Folding help out mankind... :D

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I have just started rolling these out for a customer (Dell R900) which are designed to be used for VMWare, but the license costs are going to thought the roof.

Take a look at setting up some VMWare and have a whole network in a box
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How do you just "get your hands" on something like there for home use?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • cr33pcr33p Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually, I can get my hands on another one, if I wanted it... I also got a DL380 out of the deal. My friend's company was getting rid of them (they moved to dell servers) and they let him have them. My friend has about 10 servers (of varying size) in his apartment... his electric bill is insane.

Anyway, I thought about all those things... I was going to use it to build a few DC's to work on my MCSE, but that would just be temporary. I also thought about the SETI and Protiens stuff... A good friend of mine is ranked in the top 10 in the world in one of the BOiNC projects, but what I really want is to really give this server a workout... I want to peg the memory and CPU doing something worthwhile (I'm not saying the BOiNC project aren't worthwhile)...

I thought about donating some CPU time to the LHC project, I'm sure they need some insane processing power.

Any other ideas how to give this horse a workout?
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    hetty wrote:

Wouldn't it attribute more to it though? icon_lol.gif

As for running something to use the power, I really can't think of much. If you do Folding@Home you're better off getting some high end CrossFire or other type of video cards to render it since they would do it faster then cpus. Or some PS3s.

Maybe load Supreme Commander on it and set it to highest amount of units the game supports, hehe.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    play quake and surf pron
  • techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    AlanJames wrote:
    play quake and surf pron

Out of all the intelligent statements on this site, that was by far the best.
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No one's said it yet, so....

You could run Crysis at medium settings....

MS
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Talic wrote:
    hetty wrote:

Wouldn't it attribute more to it though? icon_lol.gif
    I was wondering when somebody would point out the irony of that. But you could use it for dual-purposes, offsetting your carbon footprint. It would make a lovely hot-plate!
    serverhotplatent2.th.jpg
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO you should turn it off and only turn it on when you are ready to work on labs. Trying to max out the processing power of the box is going to max out your electricity bill and is just not necessary.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

How much would one of these set you back if you bought one??

What to do with it, hhhmmm, MS Paint, Spider Solitaire

or........host a LAN party and configure it as a terminal server so 20+ guests can play COD4

I have a core2duo, 4gig of RAM, 2 X 512 8600GT, how can i check how much of its power is being used while say playing COD4

Lee H