Options

Anyone have any experience using Recruiters?

xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have never used a recruiter before. Well, today I had a pre-screening interview with a one.

After the meeting, they mentioned 2 possible positions that I might qualify for and said they would e-mail me the info. I thought it was just smoke-n-mirrors to give me a sense of hope but sure enough I received the e-mail. I have to rewrite my resume per their request since it stinks - I have to agree. Either way, I'm a little taken back since I have been searching on my own with little success.

If anyone has any positive or negative experience with recruiters, I'd appreciate your comments.

-Xevious

Comments

• Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    I've had the same experience, but it was with a "staffing agency." I guess they get paid to screen applicants and send companies the best employees they can find since they don't have the personell to do it in house.
  • Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    I have my resume in with a couple local ones, nothing bad to report on them.

Easiest way to think about them is they don't get paid until someone is hired that fits the company they are hiring for needs, so they want to fill jobs that come to them with the right people so business keeps coming to them.
  • Options
    bighit1bighit1 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My experience with recruiters hasn't been good over the last 4 years. They do not have the same access to the department heads that do the hiring like they did in the glory days. Now, they have to deal with Human Resources just like we.

A lot of recruiters can't differentiate between different types of information technology/telecommunications jobs. So if you do use a recruiter, make sure he or she understands your skill set.

Most recruiters nowadays, just want to fill a position that has been giving to them by their boss. In the past, a recruiter would at least work to find a company who matched up well with your skill set. In this scenerio, you could at least get an interview, make an impression and if something came up in the future, you might just get a call.

Your best bet is to find companies that hire people with your skill set and send your resume directly to them.
  • Options
    xeviousxevious Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bighit1: I hear ya, but I have to use as many avenues as I can to find a job, but your suggestion is well taken.

Some tips based on my recent job seeking experience...

I spoke with another agency and they weren't really that accomodating. It wasn't anything like the first agency I spoke with, in fact - night and day.

My suggestion: If you placed your resume on a job search site and get a call from an agency - be sure to ask if there is an actual lead before scheduling for a prescreening interview. I applied to a job posted by an agency, they called, I went in, left with being database entry #99. Not once did they mention the listing I applied for. I was seriously thinking about asking for my reference sheet back so they don't use it to cold-call my friends trying to place other candidates.

What about a 1 page or multiple page resume?

I initally had everything packed into a single page, figured HR folks don't have the time to read multiple pages with the 1000s of applicants e-mail blasting each day. This might work with direct hires (going straight to the hr of an emploer) while in the selection process. I dunno... It can go either way, not enough details or too much. I hate this!

If you're dealing with recruiters - their job is to read resumes, so give them the full blown version of your resume regardless.

The bottom line, have multiple versions of your resume (short, long) and even catered to different skill sets if you have 'em.

Good luck!

-Xevious
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    WOW, that is what I call institutionalized. Recruiters I feel approach you as money and another number on the call list, its not even close to personal. I feel the best way for a job is leads, knowing an area well, networking with people and being business like. Recruiters I feel are on the downside of employment are rarely used today.