Connectors on NICs

naijinnaijin Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just started reading Mike Meyers' AIO and I came across this sentence: "A NIC will have one or more of the following types of connectors: RJ-45, BNC, 15-pin two-row female DB, or 9-pin female DB."

What are those ^ two for? Never seen them on a network card.

Also, when referring to a port, are we talking about the "general purpose"? Whether the connector describes the "specs"? Say, a monitor connects to a Video Port which is a 15-pin female DB? Am I correct?

Comments

• theICEtheICE Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it is referring to a 10base5 which is thicknet it uses rg 8 cable and a 15 pin connector which is called a AUI. and the 9 pin i think goes to the one used in token ring networks which is called a UDC or IDC.
  • STexamsSTexams Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    naijin wrote:
    Also, when referring to a port, are we talking about the "general purpose"? Whether the connector describes the "specs"? Say, a monitor connects to a Video Port which is a 15-pin female DB? Am I correct?

When comptia asks about a connector it will usually be asking about what it is used for, such as the video example you gave, that is correct. They may ask a question like: Identify the type of port that uses a 25 Pin Male connector mounted on the computer. We know that it would be referring to a serial connector.
    Freddy
    Free Online Exams and Tutorials
    http://www.stexams.com
  • naijinnaijin Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great, thanks for the replies.