Best Client Virtualization with old hardware.

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
I have a:
1.3 GHz AMD Thunderbird
Asus MoBo (can’t remember the model right now, it might be a K8N or K8V.)
768 MB RAM
80 gig drive IDE
LiteOn DVD-R

And I want to put W2k3 and Fedora on virtually. Nothing mission critical I just want the best performance I can get with the old hardware till I upgrade. And so if I change jobs and I need to know virtualization I will have something relevant to fall back on.

If this was your setup, what virtualization implementation would you go with? VMware, Xen, what?

Comments

• poortechpoortech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend that u install linux (damn small), and vmware server. try to add more memory to the box and u'll be fine
    MCSA, A+
  • supercooldudesupercooldude Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1 to poortech. Just throw in a lightweight distro + vmware server. Unless you simultaneously run both VMs, you'll be fine, though it will definitely be kinda sluggish.
    Problem is you'll need X to run vmware console if it's your only computer. Otherwise, don't install X. Instead, install a vmware console elsewhere and connect to your sever via network.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    poortech wrote:
    I recommend that u install linux (damn small), and vmware server. try to add more memory to the box and u'll be fine

Thats a great idea. I have DSL on my USB key. I didn't even think to put it on my box!
  • poortechpoortech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    u need to install DSL to your computer because you need to install vmware server, so u cannot install it in the usb (space and speed)
    the idea about a vmware server and you access your VM from a remote computer is the best idea
    MCSA, A+
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    poortech wrote:
    u need to install DSL to your computer because you need to install vmware server, so u cannot install it in the usb (space and speed)

Oh ya, I got that. I was just saying I use DSL on my usb key for use when I'm away from home and didn't think to install it on my desktop.
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I wouldnt bother with a system that old. You are only going to be able to run one system comfortable IMO. Just buy another hard drive and boot in to either system or use a caddy and put the system you want to boot in.
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my 0.02$:
    use XP as host O.S. and MS Virtual PC as client to virtualize w2k3 and VirtualBox/wmware server for fedora guest O.S. or ... second choice, use linux as host O.S. and vmware for both w2k3/fedora guests...
    and allocate 384MB for any guest O.S.