Strange but true...

2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
In Massachusetts, there's a lake called Charogoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.

It means: you fish on your side, I fish on my side, and no one fishes in the middle. hahaha

Wonder who came up with that name.

2lbs.
Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif
    Wonder who came up with that name.
    Probably the Massachusetts Indians.
  • pmannpmann Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Our friends in New Zealand can beat that for length. There is a maori name for a hill some place in NZ which is 85 letters;

TAUMATAWHAKATANGIHANGAKOAUAUOTAMATEATURIPUKAKAPIKI- MAUNGAHORONUKUPOKAIWHENUAKITANATAHU

There is a also a 58 letter place in Wales called...

LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

And the record for the longest placename in the world (with separate words) is the full name for Bangkok, the capital city of Thailand;

KRUNGTHEP MAHANAKHON BOVORN RATANAKOSIN MAHINTHARAYUTTHAYA MAHADILOKPOP NOPARATRATCHATHANI BURIROM UDOMRATCHANIVETMAHASATHAN AMORNPIMAN AVATARNS ATHIT SAKKATHATTIYAVISNUKARMPRASIT

meaning "The land of angels"

Im glad I dont have to fill out any of those addresses on my tax return!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    In Massachusetts, there's a lake called Charogoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.

It means: you fish on your side, I fish on my side, and no one fishes in the middle. hahaha

I only live a few hours from there, and try to go a few times a year. I actually go the CT side, but the lake has signs everywhere. They had a contest, to see who could say it the fastest......not me!!! lol
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    pmann wrote:
    And the record for the longest placename in the world (with separate words) is the full name for Bangkok, the capital city of Thailand;

KRUNGTHEP MAHANAKHON BOVORN RATANAKOSIN MAHINTHARAYUTTHAYA MAHADILOKPOP NOPARATRATCHATHANI BURIROM UDOMRATCHANIVETMAHASATHAN AMORNPIMAN AVATARNS ATHIT SAKKATHATTIYAVISNUKARMPRASIT

meaning "The land of angels"
    That combined with the fact that in Thai a vowel can be pronounced in 5 different tones... each with its own meaning. icon_eek.gif
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Webmaster wrote:
    Probably the Massachusetts Indians.

Yup. Apparently the word wasn't that long; it was a couple of shorther pieces put together to form that long chunck-of-a-word.

The Enlgish word with the most syllables is (if u ever watched Marry Poppins ;) ): supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. And this one is in the Oxford dictionary icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • pmannpmann Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you like fun facts about long, short and real (but weird) words see;

http://members.aol.com/gulfhigh2/words.html
  • TechGeekProTechGeekPro Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□