Looking to start Golfing

Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got an itch I can't scratch untill I get a set of new golf clubs. I haven't played since I was a little tike when my old man took me down to the local at South Perth(AUS).

I suppose this has been a long time coming and I think I've found the clubs I like but I want to compare to what other people have. I'm quite taken by the Wilson Fi5 clubs with wedges and I haven't looked at any woods yet.

I'm thinking I might not need such good clubs though so I'll keep looking. What type of clubs do you have?
- Pete

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I just went golfing for the first time about a year ago. Since I'm not wealthy, I got the cheapo set.

I dont think its as important what brand you have, rather how you use them...and how often you use them. I know guys that only play once or twice a year but have a $1k set of clubs...which I dont get. I think alot of it is just more about branding yourself with a known club...like an extension of who's at your lunch table in high school...its just about appearences and display of wealth IMHO.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I just played a round today. I have played for about 5 years and shoot 80's consistantly. I shot a 82 today. Lowest ever was a 80. For some reason i cant seem to break into the 70's just yet. I need to work on my wedge game a little for that.

And i disagree with you. I have playing certain clubs especially cast made clubs. I prefer a blade or forged club.

Current Set

Taylor Made R580 9.5 Driver
    Taylor Made R510 8.5 Driver
    Taylor Made R5 3 Wood
    Taylor Made Hybrid #3
    Taylor Made Irons Rac MB 2 through PW
    Taylor Made 52 Degree Wedge
    Taylor Made 56 Degree Wedge
    Taylor Made 60 Degree Wedge
    Taylor Made Belly Putter Corzina 42Inch
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brad- wrote:
    I know guys that only play once or twice a year but have a $1k set of clubs...which I dont get.

I'd be embarrassed in that situation. I'd rather have a set that equated with my skill, like a hand-me-down set from my Grandpa icon_lol.gif
  • Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    brad- wrote:
    I know guys that only play once or twice a year but have a $1k set of clubs...which I dont get.

I'd be embarrassed in that situation. I'd rather have a set that equated with my skill, like a hand-me-down set from my Grandpa icon_lol.gif

I reckon that's a quality remark as that's what my mate has. His Grandpa was the one who taught him how to play golf so they've got added sentimental value.

It's just me and several mates that realised we liked playing golf so me and 3 others are probably be playing a few holes soon enough. After looking for clubs in the last 2 hrs I've realised just how expensive they can be.

I'd like some forged clubs as I like the look of them but seeing as I don't have the skills yet I'll just stick to my budget and get what I can. In a year or so I'll get nice new set.

I'm really looking forward to hitting the green. Is that lingo? icon_lol.gif
    - Pete
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ULWiz wrote:
    Current Set

Taylor Made R580 9.5 Driver
    Taylor Made R510 8.5 Driver
    Taylor Made R5 3 Wood
    Taylor Made Hybrid #3
    Taylor Made Irons Rac MB 2 through PW
    Taylor Made 52 Degree Wedge
    Taylor Made 56 Degree Wedge
    Taylor Made 60 Degree Wedge
    Taylor Made Belly Putter Corzina 42Inch

That is nice set of clubs mate, I wish you luck in breaking 70s soon, because I exactly know how hard it can be, since you have been playing for som time and you would expect to have it broken by now, but it is hard.

Project2501, as you said:

"I haven't played since I was a little tike when my old man took me down to the local at South Perth(AUS). "

Dont' throw your money on the new clubs, I would say play with whatever you get for at least six months, I know it could be very hard to do becase once you start getting better at it you want new clubs and all the cool stuff right away thinking that its going to make your game even better, but it really doesn't. Now, if you are watching a pro using a certain kind of club and think that your game is going to get better using those kind of clubs, then forget it, that is far from reality. Since, the kind of clubs pro use, are custom made and are very special, something people like us wouldn't be able to afford it. They do their reasearch before they make them fitted for that one certain person, and the once available to us are made at one standard level.

You can get some really good cheap ones, brand new, custome made. That is what I did with my irons, I had them custom made, they are not branded but them fit me well since they have been customized according to my hieght and weight. Go to Ebay, you will find them on there.

If you really want to, you can get a new driver or woods, and you can find the branded ones for less on Ebay.

Since our topic of discussion is something I am most passionate about, I would like to share a quote that I heard somewhere:

"A BAD DAY OF GOLF IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK".

Good luck GOLFING man. Respect the game.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used to use my friends old ping set when I used to play a few years back. I only used to play 9 holes though at a small club he used to work at. Id be interested to see what other club sets people reccommend as I think I just might get the bug back again, need to spend some hours on the range first of all though i think.

Shall i make it my goal to do a full 18 holes of golf this year? icon_wink.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ive moved to a city which has about 10 good golf clubs around it and have really found an itch to start learning and getting into it! is it a hard skill to learn or is it all about practice?

For a total novice is it best to get some taught lessons in first?

The only time ive attempted to "play" golf was when we used to get the drivers out and just hit it back and forth on a big field icon_lol.gif ...not much skill involved really
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nel wrote:

Talking of lessons, if you think you need to take some lessons, then take them now or right before you start getting into the game. If you wait long and keep playing the game with your ways, it is real hard to make the switch later. Since, you develop your own swing and your muscles get used to that certain movement when coming down on the ball, it makes it harder to change it once you are used to a certain movement. So take the lessons now if you want, you can always take them later as well but it might just be hard to adjust to new ways.

I never took lessons myself, but watched the golf channel all the time and used to read stuff in golf digest and other golf mags, BTW they can really mess up your game as well. Best way to go by it is keep practicing often, you eventually get what you are looking for.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i play a taylormade quad7 driver, callaway x20 tour irons, cleveland cg10 wedges, and a scotty cameron putter, not exactly a set that would suit a beginner but i was a pro until i found out that the it industry pays better than being a club pro.
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    coffeeking wrote:
    nel wrote:

Talking of lessons, if you think you need to take some lessons, then take them now or right before you start getting into the game. If you wait long and keep playing the game with your ways, it is real hard to make the switch later. Since, you develop your own swing and your muscles get used to that certain movement when coming down on the ball, it makes it harder to change it once you are used to a certain movement. So take the lessons now if you want, you can always take them later as well but it might just be hard to adjust to new ways.

I never took lessons myself, but watched the golf channel all the time and used to read stuff in golf digest and other golf mags, BTW they can really mess up your game as well. Best way to go by it is keep practicing often, you eventually get what you are looking for.

This is so true, golf is a sport where bad habbits are hard to kill. No golfers swing is the same, from the grip you use on the club to the position your club is at at different parts of the swing. Funnily enough the best way to get "your golf swing" is to just practice it, driving range is perfect for this.

I picked up bad habits from my friend with my hip position on the pull back of my swing, eventually i found out I didnt HAVE to do it his way and dropped it! Much to his delight and mine :p

Although I love watching golf just as much as I enjoyed playing it (even if casually). Tiger woods and co have been playing golf since they could walk, but as you get better you will enjoy it lots!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I shot 68 with a set of mizuno TP11's when I was 15,

The clubs are getting pretty crazy just make sure you get the right shafts more than anything and you like the look and feel of the clubs as you gotta form a nice relationship with them :D you don't need to go crazy on the price

A good ball and good grips :D
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love to golf. My old man golfs all the time. He even started a senior tour. I used to golf with him in the summer whilist in high school. But unfortunately, golf takes up 2 very precious resources for me: Money and Time. Im an annual golfer nowadays, but it still feels good to outdrive the old man; then remind him last time I picked up clubs was over a year ago icon_lol.gif

I had his old set of taylor made's, and an Old ass bullseye putter (which is great because i like to putt both left and right handed. He is 5' 9", and Im 6' 3". Needless to say I outgrew them. I borrow some copper Pings (awesome clubs BTW) that were custom fit for somebody 6' so its a much nicer fit. MY 3 iron doesnt feel like my PW anymore :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I have an old cleveland set of TA5s. I've been playing for about 10 years, shoot mid to high 80's on a good day. I'd do better, but I don't take it as seriously as I could; although I did win my work league last year by two holes, so I must be doing something right.

I'm getting a new set this year though, as my play has gotten better..or least the sales guy at Golfers warehouse says so.....I'm thinking about a set of Mizuno MP-57s. There sort of blade, with a very slight cavity, and they are forged, which makes a better feel.....I just picked up a Titleist 905R for $120 used, even though it's barely used; i was able to talk them down from $160. That will hold me off till next year.

As for balls, I use the Nike Power Distance series, because they good, and are relatively cheap. If I can splurge, I say there is no better ball than the Titleist Pro-V1. It just flies so nicely, unless it overdraws into the woods....
    i remain, he who remains to be....