MCSA or MCSE Professionals.

IT Pro's,

Are there any MCSA or MCSE professionals who will kindly be able to explain how long it took them to become fully certified. (Months or Years?)

I am intrigued to know the time scale. This applys to Full-Time Students & Full-Time employee's.

Thanks.

p.s For those fully certified, Congratulations & good luck with the future of certs! :)

Comments

• dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I took about 3.5 years from passing A+ to passing 70-296 to get my MCSE 2000/2003. MCSA took about a year.

I didn't study constantly over that time and also squeezed in a CCNA. I studied to further my career so I studied to a point, got a job, mastered that job and studied to move on. I officially finished my MCSE 2000 in Oct 2007 and upgraded to 2003 by Feb 2008 but the upgrade was more through requirement than anything as the exams were expiring and I wanted the 2003 MCSE without having to complete the entire track. Luckily I had been working with 2003 for over a year before taking those exams so knew the product well.

If I studied solidly I reckon I could have completed it in 6-12 months, but I wouldn't have the experience I have now and probably wouldn't be earning what I do now. If I was a hirer I would be reluctant to hire someone with an MCSE with no commercial experience but I know this happens icon_eek.gif

Hope this provides some good insight
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    It has taken me a little over 2 years to get to MCSE - mainly because the studying has been part-time and not directly related to my current work. A summary of my certification progress would be (as far as I can remember):

November 2005: A+
    December 2005: Network+

April 2006: 70-270
    April 2007: 70-290
    July 2007: 70-291 *** MCSA ***

Dec 2007: 70-293
    Jan 2008: 70-294
    March 2008: 70-297
    April 2008: Security+ ***MCSE***
    -- Dan
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, by the time I finish my MCSA in June/early July it would have taken around a year to do the 4 exams. (I'm not counting the 70-210 exam that would apply to the MCSA as I did that and a few other MCP's in NT4 and 2000 years ago).

I'm doing them as it's about time I added some more meaningful certs to compliment my 9 years in full time positions within IT (Eeeek, now I feel old icon_eek.gif ) but I'm not going to cram them or rush them. If I finish the MCSE by this time next year I'll be a happy chappy (1 3/4yrs start to finish) though I'm hoping to do it a little sooner.

It's not how fast you do them - though I completely understand people knocking them out quickly if they have lots of experience, getting pressured by managers or are trying to get a foot in the door somewhere - but understanding the material is the key so you can use the extra knowledge gained in real-life environments and be a well rounded and respected administrator/engineer in the process.

It's going to be some party when I finally get this MCSE knocked out thats for sure icon_lol.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started getting certs in October of 2007. Started with A+ and Net+, then started the MCSA track. I just finished up my MCSA in early April 2008. I've switched gears into cisco now, so it'll be a while before my MCSE.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started studying in January, 2007, and I will wrap mine up sometime this summer. I work full-time, and I've had a 3/4-full-time course load the entire time, including the summer. I also do some freelance web-design and IT work, and there were a few personal issues that interfered along the way. I was shooting for a year, but it's going to be around 18 months.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    At the rate I'm going at I'll be looking to finish my MCSA in June, and my MCSE in August. The test centers keep booking up a month in advance for me, or money gets tight, so that puts some brakes on things. I started in December/January with my studying for the Security+.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    April 2007 - 270
    August 2007 - 290
    March 2008 - 291
    May 2008 - 620

Sad isn't it!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Mishra wrote:
    April 2007 - 270
    August 2007 - 290
    March 2008 - 291
    May 2008 - 620

Sad isn't it!

Why is that sad? Sounds like steady progress to me, thats just over 12months for an MCSA which is fine in my eyes :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    bertieb wrote:

Why is that sad? Sounds like steady progress to me, thats just over 12months for an MCSA which is fine in my eyes :D

I'm envious of the people on this forum that get their major certifications in just a few months time. Like MCSE in 8 months and such.

You may learn something!
    Mishra wrote:
    bertieb wrote:

I'm envious of the people on this forum that get their major certifications in just a few months time. Like MCSE in 8 months and such.

Yeah I feel like that sometimes, but it's a marathon and not a sprint and hey, we'll get there in the end icon_wink.gif
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    bertieb wrote:
    Mishra wrote:
    bertieb wrote:

Yeah I feel like that sometimes, but it's a marathon and not a sprint and hey, we'll get there in the end icon_wink.gif

I took 3 years so i'm sure you will both beat that :)
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dave0212 wrote:
    bertieb wrote:
    Mishra wrote:
    bertieb wrote:

I took 3 years so i'm sure you will both beat that :)

Lets see....

I STARTED this stuff in 2004, but didnt even take my first exam until 2006. Ive been at it for almost 4 years now, but my exams just reflect 18 months and counting. I plan to complete the MCSE by years end; seems doable.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Well, I suppose there are two sets of timeframes for me.

1.) I started by taking MCSE classes in 2004. I took each course for eight weeks, doing a class for 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-298, and then Security+, respectively. I spent a great deal of time hanging around the school, helping my instructor with his classes and doing some side-work for the campus, not really expecting to take the certs. Ironically, it wasn't until the next year that I stopped working McTech (CompUSA), and got into a contract position with Kaiser Permanente. I took the Security+ exam that October, and it wasn't until the summer of 2006 that I took some time off work and had 70-290, 70-291, then 70-270 knocked out by August. As it stands right now, I probably won't be MCSE certified until this upcoming summer.

2.) The second 'timeframe', you could say, is the total amount of time I spent preparing for the exams. While I did get some hands-on experience in the classes I took, that was nearly nothing compared to the studying I did in 2006. Honestly, if I count the amount of time it took from my saying, "I'm going to get this cert", to the day I sat for the exam: I'd say it was about two months for Security+, which I used as my elective, and another four, maybe five months for the three MCSA exams. Realistically, I'm probably looking at another four to five months of studying for the remaining three, as well, given that I can get my act together and really wrap my brain around the concepts.

Keep in mind, though, that these numbers mean very little from person to person. Some people have a much easier time, and can just read the books and pass the tests. Others need lots and lots of practice, and each exam is a cert unto itself, taking several months of study apiece. It's all about your abilities, your learning process, and your interest in the subject(s). Take the time you need to learn the material, there's no one rushing you but yourself.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I started in March, and I plan to have my MCSA by august. Its related to work, and I get to study all I want at work. I don't have much intrest in this, so I won't be getting the /E. I plan to get back into cisco routing after I finish this up. I do like the stuff I'm learning, but its just not intresting.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Mishra wrote:
    April 2007 - 270
    August 2007 - 290
    March 2008 - 291
    May 2008 - 620

Sad isn't it!

Seams like good steady progress to me, so nothing to stress over.

Who cares if someone get's their certifications faster. If your like me, you'll probably be in IT for the rest of your life (or at least a LONG time) so don't burn yourself out, it's a long journey. Maybe they just have more time to study for the test.

If you win the rat race....your still a rat.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    I like to have real strong goals :) Pacing myself was never anything I do at work. I like tackling things head on and giving it my best!

Certifications are definitely something I would like to obtain faster. I really haven't been really focused on them until now due to switching jobs twice.

You may learn something!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Relevant portion of my transcript:

220 Designing Security for a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network Apr 09, 2004 -MCSE 2000 obtained
    224 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Exchange 2000 Server Feb 09, 2004
    217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure Sep 05, 2003
    216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network Infrastructure Aug 11, 2003 - MCSA obtained
    218 Managing a Windows 2000 Network Environment Jun 24, 2003
    270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Jan 15, 2003
    215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Server Aug 13, 2002

I was a full time teacher during the entirety of this, doing side IT contracting work.
    Good luck to all!
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Started in December of 2005 after graduating college, finally achieved MCSE 2003 in December 2007. Two years for me.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)