Should you have the A+ Cert before you get any other certs?

Should you have the A+ Cert before you get any other certs? Will it look weird if i have an MCSE and not A+?
On the road to MCITP......

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where are you at in your career? If you have solid experience backing you up, I wouldn't think that it would be necessary.
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Not at all especially if you are already in IT.

A lot of people recommend it as a stepping stone into IT and I agree as I did it and it got me my first IT job. But it is not a requirement and I would recommend doing the Sec+ as an elective as it counts toward MCSE too where as A+ wont unless accompanied by another Comptia exam, I am working on this at the moment
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not a requirement at all. If your skills are more A+ though, it probably would be good if you picked that one up.

I had my MCSE 2000 for 3 or 4 years before I bothered with A+. The only reason I bothered at that point was that I was thinking of doing some more independent freelance at night and wanted to put it on my business card.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I doubt I will be doing any comptia exams. The only one I would be interested in is CEA-CompTIA DHTI+™ Certification. I think it would be fun to study for. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    I am on a helpdesk right now but i also do laptop,desktop,server repair and software assistance freelance so i have experience with hardware. I want to skip the a+ but do not want that decision to affect me negatively when i finally get my MCSE
    On the road to MCITP......
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I dont think you can be seen negatively without A+. But it still does backup you.