Question on Sims in the exam ?

docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All
I'm to take on this legendary beast this coming Friday and wondered about the Sims. My question is if they asked for say a VPN to be installed through RRAS and i carry it this out but
forget to enable for Lan routing (or something like that) do they award 'points' for gettting
most of the Sim right ? or is this a big fat zero !

I remember sweating a bit on a sim i did in 70-290 that i couldnt quite get right and wasted a
lot of time on it.

Thanks to anyone that may know
D.S.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe you can get partial credit on the sims. They probably do it similar to Transceder; where each task is one point. I don't think there is any official word on how these are graded though.
  • docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Dynamik, that wil help put mind to rest on Friday !
    Cheers
    D.S.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck on the exam on Friday - make sure you come back and tell us how it was!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Cheers Bertieb, i have been studing quite hard over the last 3 months and taken 2 weeks
    off to polish up but find the Transender questions hard. Not looking forward to Friday, 1 because i'm a year older but mostly the beast awaits me....... Oh Sh.t !! icon_rolleyes.gif D.S.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    docspawn wrote:
    Cheers Bertieb, i have been studing quite hard over the last 3 months and taken 2 weeks
    off to polish up but find the Transender questions hard. Not looking forward to Friday, 1 because i'm a year older but mostly the beast awaits me....... Oh Sh.t !! icon_rolleyes.gif D.S.

believe me your situation closely resembles mine; sans the birthday thing.

good luck man and happy birthday!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Dear anyone
    I'm having a real big problem understanding when to use forwarders, stubs, and AD integrated general zone stuff. My problem is when there is a SIM to work out, just cant figure out how to setup zone transfer.
    I have looked at videos and MS book but still hasnt sunk into my thick skull, any pointers out
    there that may help ?
    Really bricking it now, friday approches !
    D.S.
    Forwarders - You want a specific DNS server to resolve queries (as opposed to using root hints yourself) for records that you server isn't authoritative over. You might want to forward queries for internet domains to an external DNS server of yours, so you can limit DNS traffic between just those two machines with your firewall. Or, maybe you want to forward to your ISP's servers, so they have to handle all the recursion, and you save bandwidth.

Conditional Forwarder (new in 2003) - You want to forward queries for a specific domain to a specific server. You might want to do this if you have a partnership/merger, and you want to direct DNS queries for that domain to their name servers.

Delegation - Basically is a list of name servers for a child domain. This must follow the domain hierarchy, so you can only use it for child domains. You have to update this manually if name servers are added or removed in the child domain.

Stub - Like a delegation, but it's not bound by the domain hierarchy, and it automatically updates name servers for that domain. A good use of these is to have two domains further down in the hierarchy point to each other (you could do this with conditional forwarding too, but these have to be manually updated as well), so a query for the other domain doesn't have to travel all the way up the hierarchy and all the way back down, and back again.

AD-integrated - Allows secure dynamic updates and replication occurs with regular AD replication, not zone transfers. You can store the data in the domain partition, forest partition, a custom partition, or all DCs in the domain (required if you have to interact with 2000 DNS servers)

Be sure to check out Royal's sticky for more detailed information: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21736
    Thanks dynamik, your input to this forum is exceptional.

I understand the above a bit better now, can you clear me up as to when you'd use a
    secondary instead of a stub or condital forwarder ?

Cheers
    D.S

Ps note your from St Paul, i visited there (from scotland) just after 9/11, went to see the
    Vikings beat the N.Y.G.'s. They had the flag from one of the towers... very moving time!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A secondary zone is quite a bit different than the stub or conditional forwarder. A secondary zone is there to split the load of the DNS servers and act as a failover in case the primary zone server dies. This is because the secondary zone contains all the DNS resource records that the primary holds due to zone transfers (go do a ls -d in nslookup on a zone to see a zone transfer because thats the exact information a secondary server receives). Secondary zones are read only.

The stub zone vs conditional forwarder explaination is a little harder to understand. There are many posts about it if you look in the 70-291 board.

A quick explanation is that a stub zone only copies the NS and SOA records (and only copies the A records for the DNS servers) for the zone so it can transfer traffic to the name servers for that zone. You can think of it as a forwarder except it takes a zone to implement. A conditional forwarder only forwards a particular zone's DNS requests like test.microsoft.com to a specified DNS server. It's best if you use a stub zone over a slow WAN link and when you don't trust the other DNS zone because they could change IPs of their DNS servers. Use a conditional forwarder when you trust the other DNS zone won't change IPs unless they tell you so you can change your forwarder.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Also, there are no primary or secondary zones when you're using AD-integrated zones. Those are only for standard zones. With AD-integrated zones, all servers have a R/W copy the data.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    A secondary zone is quite a bit different than the stub or conditional forwarder. A secondary zone is there to split the load of the DNS servers and act as a failover in case the primary zone server dies. This is because the secondary zone contains all the DNS resource records that the primary holds due to zone transfers (go do a ls -d in nslookup on a zone to see a zone transfer because thats the exact information a secondary server receives). Secondary zones are read only.

The stub zone vs conditional forwarder explaination is a little harder to understand. There are many posts about it if you look in the 70-291 board.

A quick explanation is that a stub zone only copies the NS and SOA records (and only copies the A records for the DNS servers) for the zone so it can transfer traffic to the name servers for that zone. You can think of it as a forwarder except it takes a zone to implement. A conditional forwarder only forwards a particular zone's DNS requests like test.microsoft.com to a specified DNS server. It's best if you use a stub zone over a slow WAN link and when you don't trust the other DNS zone because they could change IPs of their DNS servers. Use a conditional forwarder when you trust the other DNS zone won't change IPs unless they tell you so you can change your forwarder.

there are links in royals sticky that have a VERY good explanation about stub zones and conditional FWDing.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security