Need Help (Again)

I have a computer with Windows XP Pro as its main OS and I also have a Server 2003 DC setup in virtual PC. I can't get XP to join the domain. any suggestions?

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can XP ping the server? What DNS address is assigned to XP?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • wheelywheely Member Posts: 105
    The DNS of the server is 127.0.0.1 and XP is 192.168.2.1. I am running through a wireless router and i am not using a registered domain name. I'm using wiley.local like it says in the Sybex book. Should I turn off wireless?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is 192.168.2.1 the IP of the DC?

That's what the client's DNS needs to be able to join to the domain. It looks like you're just pointing to your gateway now.

Wireless doesn't matter as long as it's setup right (the machines can communicate).

Sorry for the edits. I misunderstood how you had things setup originally.
    127.0.0.1 is the loopback address. What are the DNS settings on the XP computer? The DNS address of the XP computer needs to point to the 2003 server.
    Andy

Here is what I got.

Server 2003 DC: IP 192.168.2.7, DG:192.168.2.1, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 DHCP server:192.168.2.1 DNS: 192.168.2.1

XP comp: IP 192.168.2.3 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.2.1 DHCP and DNS: 192.168.2.1
    Looks like your DC is getting its IP from a DHCP server. It should have a static address.

If the DC has an IP address of 192.168.2.7, set the DNS on the XP client to 192.168.2.7
    Andy

You should set your DC to use itself for DNS as well.
    Thanks a lot Dynamik and Andy. I got my problem fixed.
    (I'm an Andy too) icon_eek.gif

Glad to hear it ;)
    How do I log on to the domain when it is on a VM and not up when I log on? I'm new at using VM's.
    Were you able to do that, and you're asking how you were able to? Cached credentials.

That's not specific to a VM. It would work like that if it was a physical machine that was offline as well.

This is a better explanation of the interactive logon process: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/779885d9-e5e9-4f27-9c14-5bbe77b056ba1033.mspx?mfr=true
    I can log on locally to the XP computer but cannot log onto the domain. I understand the cached credentials. Do i need the cached credentials on the XP computer or the DC.
    They are cached automatically, but you can adjust the behavior.

Are you selecting the domain from the logon screen (or logging on like username@domain.com)?

login-b201.jpg

It should look like that with your domain selected, not your local computer. Have you logged on to the domain before? If the DC isn't on, and you haven't logged in before, you will have no cached credentials, nor will you be able to be authenticated (obviously).
    The DC is on a VM. When I log off the local machine and go to log onto the DC it says I can't because it can't find the domain. It can't find it because when I log off the local machine the VM shuts down.
  • techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did I read your post correctly? You have 1 PC running XP Pro(not Home). On this same PC you have a Virtual PC running 2003 Server. You are trying to join your physical XP machine to the Virtual PC Domain Controller.

If you were able to get the XP machine to join the domain, when it reboots you would only be able to log on locally because the DC is not reachable at login because the Virtual PC DC is not running. Make sense?

You need a 2nd PC to run a Virtual DC, if you want your physical PC to be joined to that domain. Otherwise you need 2 Virtual PCs, one a DC, one a client. Make sure they are connected to the same LAN, virtual or otherwise, and can ping each other.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
    That's an interesting predicament.

I wonder if you could do a secondary logon once you've logged on locally and started your DC to have it cache your credentials. If so, you'd be able to log on to the domain in the future without having your VM running.

Has anyone run this sort of setup before?