TCP/IP Port Assignments

LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone have any systems (like apstndp) to remember all the port assignments for TCP/IP? Or do I just have to burn them all into my brain? :D

FTP 21, SSH 22, Telnet 23, SMTP 25, DNS 53, TFTP 69, HTTP 80, POP3 110, NNTP 119, NTP 123, IMAP4 143, SNMP 161, HTTPS 443....

Do I need to know all of these for the NET+ exam?
It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    In Net+ you'll be asked questions involving ports. You may get one or two simple questions that ask what port does a certain protocol use, but probably more likely the port number will be a factor in a real-life scenario question. So, you need to know those ports.

Real-life scenes are a large part of the Net+ exam, and they're not really that difficult. But, you have to read them carefully to sift out the facts that you need to determine the solution.

This site has info on ports. There is even a practice exam on ports.

Best of luck in your preparations.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • spike_tomahawkspike_tomahawk Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed it a couple of weeks ago, I made my own flash cards (3X5 cards) Port on front and answer on back, I also did this with lots of other one answer questions. helped alot.

My 6yr old was the card flipper, she helped alot in my studies, she could tell you the ports by the time I was ready for the test.

Good luck
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    When I took the Net+, I was asked about 443, 21, and 80. That's it. You should know the common ports though. janmike is right, the scenario question is probably the most common you'll see on the exam. I would estimate around 75% of my questions were based on how to troubleshoot a problem, correct the problem, and what steps were taken.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for the help.
    It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start burning the ports into your head now. It will save you the time of relearning them later.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • MindrakerMindraker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LETHALAI wrote:
    Anyone have any systems (like apstndp) to remember all the port assignments for TCP/IP? Or do I just have to burn them all into my brain? :D

FTP 21, SSH 22, Telnet 23, SMTP 25, DNS 53, TFTP 69, HTTP 80, POP3 110, NNTP 119, NTP 123, IMAP4 143, SNMP 161, HTTPS 443....

Do I need to know all of these for the NET+ exam?

For the Network+, learn the most significant ones. If you know these, you know way more than you have to. No, you will not need to know HTTPS, SNMP, IMAP, NNTP, or NTP.

ftp-data 20/tcp #FTP, data
    ftp 21/tcp #FTP. control
    telnet 23/tcp
    smtp 25/tcp mail #Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
    tftp 69/udp #Trivial File Transfer
    gopher 70/tcp
    finger 79/tcp
    http 80/tcp www www-http #World Wide Web
    pop3 110/tcp #Post Office Protocol - Version 3
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would memorize every port from the tech notes here. I was asked all kind of port questions and troubleshooting questions regarding knowledge of a certain port. They are really easy to remember plus you will use them in the future w/ any security instances.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree with Garv. If someone didn't 'need to learn' some ports for their exam, it doesn't mean someone else can't get questioned about those...

Try our Well-Known port quiz to memorize them more easily:
    www.techexams.net/coexam/start.php?exam=ports
  • MindrakerMindraker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK, granted, the Network+ test I took was a while back, it may have changed, but if you want to be realistic and look at the number of so-called "well known" ports one needs to sift through --
    %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\services
    icon_eek.gif
    Yes, you will need to make a decision as to which ones are going to be your "well known" ports and which ones of these your "not-so" well-known ports.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Apart from changes, the exam you took was only a small part of the entire question pool. I agree that it wouldn't be wise to try and memorize them all, that is why I set up the well-known port quiz, which contains the protocols and services mentioned in the exam objectives.