Options

power supply for my RIG

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so I went out and bought a 9800gx2 for my PC I then discovered my power supply doesn't have the 2 PCI-E 6 pins it needed to power the card, my power supply ony had the 1

so i'm looking at a couple now to bring everything up to speed I was looking at the

Coolermaster Real Power M1000

and the

Coolermaster Real Power M850

They both have the connections I want plus extra if I wanted to add another 9800gx2 in a few months or something, is the 850 gonna get the job done? i'm not running loads of hardware - 2 sata drives and a DVD-RW, there's a £40 ($80) difference in the price so i'm wondering if it's worth it.
Also any other power supplies you guy think are good?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would certainly say read the reviews of power supplies on Toms Hardware I found it quite shocking to see the amount of PSU's that are advertise with misleading Outputs,

There are a few supplies on there when pushed to maximize load as advertised fail icon_eek.gif

Another suggestion would be to go on overclockers.com and read reviews of supplies people have purchased it's what I do before I buy.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    here my 2pence worth

What surpirised me the most about power to an sli card, is it takes 2 molex connections for each 6 pin slot and one card i installed for someone needed 2 of them, so just for one card being installed it need 4 molex connectors

I currently have a generic 550W with 2 X 8600GT with 2 x sata and 1 dvd wr, plays cod 4 no probs, but my cards are powered through the pci slot

i admit these modular psu's look ace but i would only spend a small percentage of the overall system cost on a psu

Lee H
  • Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    here my 2pence worth

What surpirised me the most about power to an sli card, is it takes 2 molex connections for each 6 pin slot and one card i installed for someone needed 2 of them, so just for one card being installed it need 4 molex connectors

I currently have a generic 550W with 2 X 8600GT with 2 x sata and 1 dvd wr, plays cod 4 no probs, but my cards are powered through the pci slot

i admit these modular psu's look ace but i would only spend a small percentage of the overall system cost on a psu

Lee H

That's the same setup as I had before except a 500W PSU, it worked pretty good but the framerate on crysis wasn't great,

I went for the 850W in the end off ebay, saved some cash, it's SLI ready and has all the connections, I read a couple of reviews on it and nothing bad so job done,
    What's another word for Thesaurus?