Does anyone use MS OneNote for their studies?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm playing around with the 60-day trial, and it's pretty slick. It seems like a great way to organize large amounts of information (including text, images, audio, video etc.). Everything is arranged in notebooks. Inside of those, you create sections and individual pages. For example, I have a 291 notebook with sections for CBT Nuggets, Trascender, MS Press, and Misc., each of which have pages of notes arranged by chapter, etc.

There's a lot of really neat features. If you copy-and-paste data from somewhere, it includes the date and url. You can do selective screen captures (win key + s), and simply draw a rectangle around what you want. It's a slick way to capture tables or other specially formatted data. I've just scratched the surface, but it seems like something I'll end up purchasing.

Has anyone else played around with it at all?

Is there anything similar that you prefer?

I encourage people to download the trial and play around with it:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/default.aspx

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've always been a fan of OneNote. I think it is quite a product and I wish I had a tablet PC to take full advantage of the app.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does this run on XP at all? secondly is there a Open Source alternative to this software?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use OneNote all the time. Taking notes on things I do at clients and want to note for the next time I have to do it at a client. Also use it for client meetings when I need to write down details on their environments.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I love OneNote. I use it at school and at work. I am sure this has been tossed around already but if you are a student, check out www.theultimatesteal.com It was supposed to end yesterday, but they extended it for 2 more weeks. Not free, but a deal you can't pass up.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    Does this run on XP at all? secondly is there a Open Source alternative to this software?
    Yes. It is part of the Office 2003 and 2007 suites.

I haven't seen any type of Open Source alternative. The only thing remotely close to it I've seen is Tomboy for linux and even that wasn't in the same ballpark. Same sport, but not the same field.