to get a PS3 or not to get a PS3???

intelzeeintelzee Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
ok so i have been looking at the ps3's and i would love to get one, but i dont know any one with one so i was wondering if it was worth getting or not?? what does the future look like for it. and is there any good games for it, or will there be?
look look!!!! its a train!!

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What kind of games do you like?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want one just for the Blu-ray capability alone...

You might be better off waiting a month or so for the Metal Gear Solid 4 deal (80GB PS3 + MGS4 + DualShock 3 controller)...for $500.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that they are over rated, personaly. But I have always been a hard core PC guy!! :D
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    I'm NOT a gamer, but I say get it.

If you remotely like games, you've got not just the PS3, but ps2, and ps1 to fall back on. If you can't find something you like in that library then I donno what to tell you.

Toshiba HD just called it quits so I think it's fair to say Blue Ray is here to stay.

On those two factors alone I think the 400 dollar one is worth it.

Plus it's pretty slick looking and you can store music on it and play mp3s through it as fancy stereo so ya.

I plan on getting one once all the hype wears off and the 400 dollar model comes down a little in price. Maybe X-Mas.
  • intelzeeintelzee Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i was looking at the PS3 for the racing games it hase. but i like to play just about everthing there is to play.

i was looking at the MGS4 deal but i dont know if it would be worth it, or not.
    i was looking at the MGS4 deal but i dont know if it would be worth it, or not.

Well, just the 80GB PS3 alone is normally $500. You could get the cheaper 40GB version but sacrifice the ability to play older PS1/2 games.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    HUMMMMMmmmmmm.... you have a point. when well the MGS4 one be coming out?
  • dax_kundax_kun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a long time console gamer, starting from the NES era. Heck, I have SNES games on my psp :D, very old skul.

Ever since PS3 came out I've been dying to grab one for myself. Just that i'm waiting till the price goes down. I know sony over rated their ps3, but with the blu-ray plus the stunning graphics I've see on previews, I'm drooling over it. Also most of the games I want are there, MGS series, FF series and other kick ass games.

All in all, it goes down to how much you want it. For me, I'll defnitely get one as I want to continue my console gaming.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Well, just the 80GB PS3 alone is normally $500. You could get the cheaper 40GB version but sacrifice the ability to play older PS1/2 games.

I thought the entire line had backward compatibility?
    that was how it started but the new 40GiGs dont have it for some stuped reason....
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    its one of those questions where there is no right or wrong but here's my input....and before anyone starts its not a 360 Vs PS3 thing.

firstly i was also overwhelmed when i first seen/heard bout the ps3 and i wanted one so bad. i came to buying one and came out with a 360...and i have to admit i never regret the decision i made. At the time the PS3 was £440 and i think sony overhyped it, overpriced it and havent really delivered anything to distinguish the PS3 from the 360 so far.i also purchased the 360 for £160 less at the time. So on that alone i am more than happy i done so. the 360 has all the games the PS3 has bar one or two like mgs4. but its fair to say the the 360 has some very good games which the PS3 does not.

The Playstation range is def here to stay for sure but i think the 360 has done a good job to catch up. out of all my friends i only know 1 with a PS3 and 14 with a 360! i know this is not a tru comparision of sales etc but it says alot to me, especially when we were playstation fanboys.

i know a blu ray player costs just as much as a PS3 and i know blu ray is here to stay but i cant see the prices for blu ray films etc coming down in price for the next 2-3 years to what dvd's are and lets face it the next gens will be cumn out soon after that.

lastly from the games i have played on both console's like cod4 for example i couldnt tell much difference. if i were you i would try the 360 and PS3 before you buy but remem you def need a HD tv for either console!!!!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you want the PS3 mostly for games or for the blueray player? If it is for gaming mostly then check out the games that are available or will be available for each system (PS3, XBox 360, Wii) and then decide from there. I found the XBox 360 has the best selection of games but that is just my opinion. Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, GTA IV, Oblivion, etc.....Some of the games of course are out for both the PS3 and 360 but some only come out for 1 or the other.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Skip the PS3 for now and study for Certifications and focus on advancing your IT Career.

Then buy a PS28 when they come out and you're comfortably settled in your career and can afford to take a break from studying -- figure you'll move into management by then, so you'd also have lots less work and more time to play games. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    im getting it for both of them games and blue ray. but mostly the games. i have a wii and a 360 so the game selection is not a problem for me.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got mine for Blu-Ray and love it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally, I'm waiting for the bundles with dual shock controllers. I have a 360 and Wii, already, and I expect that the 360 will be my primary gaming console for a while. DLC for Rock Band always seems to come out a few weeks earlier on the 360 than on the PS3. PS3 will be used primarily for exclusive titles and as a Blu-Ray player.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've had a PS3 since March-ish 2007...I originally bought it before GTA IV was first delayed...

I'm very happy with it...it gave me a reasonably priced Blu-ray player (at the time), and DVD upscaling with firmware update in May-ish 2007. I have one of the early ones that emulates my PS2 games. I believe they dropped emulation in most of the models to lower the cost.

For the most part, the launch games were terrible, with the exception of Motorstorm, which was a blast. Over the last few months the selection of games has improved. COD4 and Assassin's Creed are awesome. I really don't see the point in Gran Turismo Prologue...I'll wait on the full game.

I still haven't upgraded my controllers to Dual Shock...mainly because no matter what system I was playing having the controller shake and rattle was never really a big requirement for me. Also, I would say that compared to what I have seen of Xbox Live, the PS3 online experience is lacking, and the PS3 store really kinda sucks.

After over a year of waiting, in about 6 hours I will finally be playing the game for which I originally purchased the PS3....
  • Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PS3 is getting smaller. May be worth the wait for some.

Link
    - Pete
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote:
    After over a year of waiting, in about 6 hours I will finally be playing the game for which I originally purchased the PS3....

You can't see it, but I'm shaking my fist at those who are self-employed/unemployed and get to go to the midnight launch.
    dynamik wrote:

You can't see it, but I'm shaking my fist at those who are self-employed/unemployed and get to go to the midnight launch.

lol me to if i could go to it i would lol but i cant....sad icon_sad.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote:

I think 360 owners have been waiting for GTA IV it since 2005 icon_lol.gif

Halo 3 was the FIRST time I ever did a midnight launch; and I regret it. I ended up being really tired the next day for nothing...because I only played the game for 5 minutes...

Although Im a tad jealous you get to play before me, I promised myself to finish 291 before I play the game. So hopefully Friday afternoon I get a chance icon_wink.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    eMeS wrote:

I really don't want to go to the midnight launch...My plan is to get there at 5 til and get in the line for those that have already paid in full...

My Lamestop said that there would be such a line..can't wait to see what it actually looks like when I arrive.

Until then...it's another chapter of the Rita Mulcahy PMP book and a walk on the trail around my neighborhood with the wife and baby...after all, this is the last time they will see me for the next few days...

MS
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm got myself a Nintendo WIi and have been playing Brawl got it on import :) fantastic game I will be keeping my Wii as I love Nintendo games and there are rumours of a new zelda and new Kid Icarus game hitting the console.

I will be investing in a PS3 as a secondary console when a price drop occurs I can wait to play GTA4 lol
    I'll more than likely pick up the PS3 / MGS4 bundle

But the games I am looking forward to on the PS3 are Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3, Resi Evil 5, COD5
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Does anybody think that Sony's online network for the PS3 is much more laggy than the Xbox Live network for the Xbox 360? I've had a couple of people lately give me this as a good reason to favor the 360 over the PS3, but I don't know if this reported lag is generally experience by everyone.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Does anybody think that Sony's online network for the PS3 is much more laggy than the Xbox Live network for the Xbox 360? I've had a couple of people lately give me this as a good reason to favor the 360 over the PS3, but I don't know if this reported lag is generally experience by everyone.

I have heard nothing but horrendous things about PSNetwork. XBL has a good system going right now. However, you have to admit, there are TONS of people playing GTA online right now, so that might be an issue. Generally speaking I heard its difficult to get an online game going on PS3
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PSN is much less mature than XBL. The lag probably fluctuates, maybe because of game load (i.e. all the new GTA players hopping on at once), or perhaps it's just the person's internet connection. I don't think that's representative of the entire network though. However, XBL is a much more integrated, streamlined experience. I'd buy the 360 version of a cross-platform game solely for it's superior online capabilities.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    PSN is much less mature than XBL. The lag probably fluctuates, maybe because of game load (i.e. all the new GTA players hopping on at once), or perhaps it's just the person's internet connection. I don't think that's representative of the entire network though. However, XBL is a much more integrated, streamlined experience. I'd buy the 360 version of a cross-platform game solely for it's superior online capabilities.
    Right now, 360 is tops when it comes to online play. I have both 360 and PS3 so I have no bias towards either. Right now, the only use my PS3 gets is Blu-Ray movie play. To date, there have been no games released on both systems that I can see the PS3 advantage. Even if the PS3 games have a slight edge graphically than 360 the online options greatly outweigh everything else.
    ally_uk wrote:
    I'm got myself a Nintendo WIi and have been playing Brawl got it on import :) fantastic game I will be keeping my Wii as I love Nintendo games and there are rumours of a new zelda and new Kid Icarus game hitting the console.

I will be investing in a PS3 as a secondary console when a price drop occurs I can wait to play GTA4 lol
    I'll more than likely pick up the PS3 / MGS4 bundle

But the games I am looking forward to on the PS3 are Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3, Resi Evil 5, COD5

ya i think im going to wait for the MGS4 bundle to.
    lol i have a wii i jost got Mario cart wii lol and it kicks ass!!!! i love it!!!
    and as for the games that you cant wait for lol nether can i its going to be so fun to play god of war 3 and COD5!!! lol but i ahve never heard about any of them coming out??
    Hmmm.....maybe my previous argument that PS3 is worth it for Blu-ray alone is not as strong now.

Check this out; this might play a factor in what system you purchase and when you buy it:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/02/xbox-360-blu-ray-console-by-september/