CCIE Voice vs Security

Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Which of this too has less technology to study for, I can't tell from the blueprints any input is appreciated.
INE v4 volume 1

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_eek.gif

Since the rack rental places usually charge more for Voice Racks than Security Racks -- I'd go with Security.

Since the usual advice is build (or emulate) what you can, rent the rest, it came down to the rack rental prices before I could make a decision icon_lol.gif

Voice has more topics in the exam blueprints (written and lab), but Security has more sub-topics listed. But one of the abbreviations listed as a sub-topic in Voice could cover more stuff than 20 or so sub-topics explicitly listed under a topic in the Security Blueprint. But some of the scary Voice configs have nice configuration samples that you can copy into notepad and modify, while the simple Security Configuration may not be obvious unless you've done your reading and practice lab work.

Both require expensive hardware. You can emulate some of the gateways and gatekeepers -- that don't require voice ports -- and things like CME with dynamips. For Security you can now use PEMU in place of the PIX and ASAs, and there's a rumor that someone got the IPS 5.x software to run under VMWARE. So for Security you still have to buy a VPN concentrator for the CCIE Lab study (if you didn't rent). For voice you can use VMWare for the CallManager Servers and Unity and some soft phones, but you'd still need the hardware for CUE, 6500, anything with hardware DSPs, and voice ports.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    For a question like that I would say you are over your head. It sounds like you are asking "which track is easier/quicker", in which case a lot of people would probably say security.
  • Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much Mike and Gt-Rob for getting back to me. Indeed, I'm asking which one is quicker to complete but not easier, because I believe that all of them are difficult.

I'm conducting a survey where I'm collecting information such as how long it took to prepare from about 20 of each track ( voice & security ) who passed recently. Now this will not have a precise result because I'm not taking into consideration previous experiences as I don't have access to all that data. But this will at least give us a hypothetical estimate of how long it could take to prepare and pass either ccie lab. I'll post my results.
    INE v4 volume 1
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sa'ad wrote:
    Thank you so much Mike and Gt-Rob for getting back to me. Indeed, I'm asking which one is quicker to complete but not easier, because I believe that all of them are difficult.

I'm conducting a survey where I'm collecting information such as how long it took to prepare from about 20 of each track ( voice & security ) who passed recently. Now this will not have a precise result because I'm not taking into consideration previous experiences as I don't have access to all that data. But this will at least give us a hypothetical estimate of how long it could take to prepare and pass either ccie lab. I'll post my results.

It's going to be pretty difficult to draw meaningful conclusions from your straw poll to be honest. Some CCIE candidates are fulltime on the thing while others shoe the studytime in on top of fulltime work and/or family commitments so they have significantly less reserves in terms of time and energy to draw on. Even comparing two candidates experiences studying after work is difficult as one may have a much more demanding fulltime job than the other. So you would have to consider this when you compare the elapsed time to complete a track end to end. Experience and familiarity with the topic is another variable for all candidates. Another is the approach taken when encountering the studies. Some cram in an attempt to pass and take regular lab exams until they do, others take more time absorbing and experimenting with the technologies as they go along. Then there are the materials they use and how they use them.

Even if you were to concentrate on the experience of dual CCIE's the results will be skewed. You learn a lot accomplishing the CCIE. If you have the time and the inclination to do a second one you already have a methodology that, providing you have the time, should make the next somewhat easier to take out.

I think you will find that CCIE voice is found to be harder going from the feedback you will get but against that you must consider that the CCIE voice track is still rather young and many candidates chase it with a weaker background than something like security where more people seem to have some exposure to PIX/ASA etc as security has been on the boil for a few years now.

Your findings will be interesting nevertheless
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya know, I've been thinking of that same question here lately. After Routing & Switching
    should I get Security or Voice next? I've yet to come up with an answer. I have some
    deliberating to do... icon_rolleyes.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • pullin-gspullin-gs Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You really should choose based on your personal interest...not what is easier or not.

Having said that, a good voice SME who is certified can write their own ticket. I did the routing/switching thing now for 15 years. Voice was a welcome change for me, and opened up some very big doors.

There are a lot of different "Security" certs that makes for a more competative (and less lucrative) work force. I've never met a Security-CCIE. However I personally know six CISSP guys. Most of the jobs I've worked on do not use Cisco products anyway for their core firewall stacks.
    ....fewer Jobs.....More people with the certs.

However, Voice is the complete opposite. Cisco voice certs carries over to AVAYA, open-source, and other VOIP vendors. And there are more jobs too, but less certified Voice guys.

Security was hot for about 5 years.....Voice is hot now.

Cheers

Pullin'
  • Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I kind of gave up on the survey I've been doing for anyone who cares to know. I found about 20 Voice CCIE's who recently completed their CCIE and how long it took them but I couldn't find the same for security. I only found about 4 people who posted their study duration...I sent email and didn't get any reply...It probably would not have any meaningful conclusion like Turgon said. But all in all, I believe if anybody is willing to put in 10hrs a day for about 6 months to a year any CCIE is attainable. But I don't think too many of us can handle 10hrs of study per day that is almost next to impossible.
    INE v4 volume 1
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where did you get your 10 hours/day statistic? A lot of the estimates I see range anywhere from 500-1000 hours. You can space thought out over a year or two without making yourself miserable. I think most people's problem is sticking with it long-term.

I start losing a little bit of drive after a month or two of studying for MS exams. Once I pass, I get a motivational boost and dive into the next one. I think it would be rather difficult to study for such a long time without receiving any gratification until the very end.

You should give Turgon's thread a read if you haven't already: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23875
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The total amount of time it takes will also depend on where you are starting from. If you have extensive background in security you may be able to complete a CCIE security in a couple months, where somone who has no idea of what an IPSec tunnel is will take longer. It's a very difficult statistic to track when you consider there are roughly only 700 people with CCIE voice and 1400 with security and in each case their experience is going to be unique.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Chose one that interests you and go with it. The CCIE (any flavor) is a daunting task and if you're not in it 100% you will fail.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/