Network+ versus CCNA

Matt2000Matt2000 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
With regard to topic, content, and types of questions...can anyone say how close the Network+ certification exam is compared to the CCNA?

Thanks!

Comments

• TrigunTrigun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2 diff things mate, CCNA is vendor specific (CISCO ROUTERS) and Net+ is more, vendor neutral and focuses on tcp/ip and diff protocols out there in the networking world.
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Think of Network+ as Elementary School, grades 1-6, in Smallville.
    Think of CCNA as High School in Ciscoville.
    CCNP as college.
    CCIE as PhD.
    Net+ covers many topics that you need to know for CCNA, but in less detail.
    The CCNA covers most everything from the Net+, in addition to Cisco stuff and in greater depth.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Network+ is easier then CCNA. Since you already have CCNA, CCDA, and RHCT you could pass the Net+ without even studying.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Matt2000Matt2000 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great! Thanks for the info and the quick response...

I'll read through the study guide on this site as a refresher then hit the road! Good luck to all and thanks again.

Always good to add more certs to your resume...CCNP is killing meicon_exclaim.gif
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    sthomas wrote:
    Network+ is easier then CCNA. Since you already have CCNA, CCDA, and RHCT you could pass the Net+ without even studying.

Do not press your luck, thinking you could pass the test without studying. I worked in reverse order and took the Network + after the CCNA and after a couple weeks of intense studying barely passed. The test is expensive $232. and all I could think of was I was not going to pay another $232 if I failed it the first time. Those thought only entered my mind while taking the exam, I was very confident when I started the test. The test as been changed (I know several people would disagree) but I doubt they took the test recently.

Just my 2 cents.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    Thanks for the advice...I don't think that I would not study before taking this test...especially due to the price!

Thanks,
    Matt
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Matt2000 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice...I don't think that I would not study before taking this test...especially due to the price!

Thanks,
    Matt

Is there even a benefit of getting the Network+ after having already passed the CCNA? I personally never considered it. Just curious.
    Probably no "real" benefit, other than adding a certification to a resume. My boss requires two certs per year, and studying for a VMWare Cert is going to take longer, so why not gain another one that I am a bit familiar with.

After this, onto Microsoft's exams...
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Matt2000 wrote:

Thanks,
    Matt

Is there even a benefit of getting the Network+ after having already passed the CCNA? I personally never considered it. Just curious.

Since the Network + never expires, I felt it was worth the effort to gain another certification along the way. Glad I got it.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also A+ and Network+ together count as an elective toward MCSA.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • KikodeKikode Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Matt2000 wrote:
    Probably no "real" benefit, other than adding a certification to a resume. My boss requires two certs per year, and studying for a VMWare Cert is going to take longer, so why not gain another one that I am a bit familiar with.

After this, onto Microsoft's exams...

2 certifications a year icon_eek.gif (Finally a good use for this emote)
    I don't have much experience in the IT field yet but that sounds like a harsh quota to meet. Unless he counts the Renewing of Certs you will run out of relevant certs quickly one would assume. I hope this is out of the Norm because once I get my MCP + CCNA (or MCSA Depends on the Job I have at the time I guess) I would like to take a few years break from studying and enjoy just mastering the IT principles working hands on. Any Idea on your job title so I can stay away from it hehe.

On the topic of the Network + like the others said your experience will help you greatly but from my experience having the knowledge was only half the battle you also had to know how to answer the questions something I wasn't prepared for and it almost caused me to fail(I was like 50 pts from Failing). Example just because you know what USB and Firewire is doesn't mean you know which ones faster. I.E. USB modes = (Half Speed, Full Speed and 2.0) and Fire Wire can be 400 or 800 yet USB 2.0 is 480 so which one is faster? Well that would depend on the wording so Its very important you take some practice exams and learn how to read between those type of obscure questions. Well GL m8 and let us know when you finish it and what you thought of the test.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took the Network+ prior to getting my CCNA

If you already have your CCNA, the Network+ should be easier. However, you're still looking at a bit of study unless you know the Windows network settings and commands very well. There's probably still a little bit of Linux/UNIX on the test. Things like knowing the ifconfig command.

Good luck with it!
  • Dodger346346Dodger346346 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't understand why people would take their network+ if you already have your CCNA... whts the point, it doesn't add anything extra, the first half of the CCNA is all network+ theory based with ip stats etc, and a bit of router config... its much harder then the network+ and this is spoken by someone who holds both.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    freetech wrote:
    Think of Network+ as Elementary School, grades 1-6, in Smallville.
    Think of CCNA as High School in Ciscoville.
    CCNP as college.
    CCIE as PhD.
    Net+ covers many topics that you need to know for CCNA, but in less detail.
    The CCNA covers most everything from the Net+, in addition to Cisco stuff and in greater depth.

I think I'd lay it out a little differently, but in a similar manner.

Rough equivalents for the networking "schools", so to speak:

Network+ --> High School Diploma/G.E.D.
    CCNA --> Associate's Degree
    CCNP --> Bachelor's Degree
    CCIE --> Master's/PhD

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't understand why people would take their network+ if you already have your CCNA... whts the point, it doesn't add anything extra, the first half of the CCNA is all network+ theory based with ip stats etc, and a bit of router config... its much harder then the network+ and this is spoken by someone who holds both.

see below...
    sthomas wrote:
    Also A+ and Network+ together count as an elective toward MCSA.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Thanks for all the tips, passed in February after reading through the TechExams study guide and supplementing that with "Google".

Not really "easy" when compared to CCNA since I had over 20 questions on Novell and some of the older technologies (BNC, etc...). Managed to pull it off though - not an outstanding score, but that really does not matter now does it? Anyway, my original site was closed due to weather, but I went to PrepLogic to obtain a "Last Chance Voucher" and saved $50.00 off of the price, but it expired that day. So, I found a place and sort of hurried through it.

For all attempting the exam in the future, I recc. PrepLogic as a source to purchase your vouchers - $232 is a little pricey for an exam...just search for "Last Change CompTIA vouchers" or something like that, save some dough for gas!

Some asked why do this if you already have a CCNA? CCNA is vendor specific, and we are beginning to see alot of Foundry gear entering the market - similar to Cisco, but they have their own cert's as well. You can pad a resume with these, and they are electives if I decide to pursue the MS track (hoping not too.)

Regarding the 2 certs per year (haha) - I should mention this is our "rating year" which is 18 calendar months. Within those 18 months we are alloted the funds to attend 2 schools, wherever we decide (within reason). MS guys usually wind up at some MS class, I just finished with the Cisco SNPA class where I will spend a month studying and then take that certification exam. Sorry, by cert I meant a cert test (doesn't necessarily mean that you have to have a cert that awards a title...) Similar in fashion to CCNP - 5 tests before you get the title -- so I shoul amend my statement to say that I need to pass 2 "qualified" exams per year (or year - point - five!).

In the area where I live / work (Baltimore Metro) there are a ton of contracting and consulting jobs for IT, Networking is a massive market for that and as much as you can cram on your resume just to get your foot in the door, the better.

Hope this clears some stuff up!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    Matt2000 wrote:
    Not really "easy" when compared to CCNA since I had over 20 questions on Novell and some of the older technologies (BNC, etc...).
    Oh Oh icon_eek.gif I've been trying to forget some of the old stuff I haven't used in years to free up Neurons for more advanced Cisco Stuff. I might have to consider taking the Network+ sooner than I had planned before I forget anymore. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    something else to add about the why get network+ if you have a ccna already question

if you're in a position where someone else is paying the tab i.e. work, theres no reason to not go take it :P
    WIP: IPS exam