Options

Things that a CCNA should focus on for this test

cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
Hello All

First, I want to thank everyone on these forums, they have always been a tremendous help, and have without doubt helped me to get to the point I am at today.

So I am starting to take a look at the 291, and every time I start on my materials (CBT nuggets or Learnkey) I am incredibly bored by what I am reading. I know, both from lurking here and from looking at the test objectives, that this will not be a breeze, but for those of you who are also CCNAs, what do you think are the parts most outside of the purvue of what was covered in the CCNA. Actually, everyone can respond, I am always willing to listen.

FWIW, I do plan on covering everything, but my system for passing tests is always to start off reading the recommended book first, then moving into the other materials, but my book doesn't arrive until Tuesday. icon_sad.gif

Thanks!

John Nickle

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint

Comments

• Options
    JayrodEFJayrodEF Member Posts: 111 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I'm not a CCNA yet, but will be shortly. =) From my studying the CCNA, there's not really any overlap between the CCNA and the 291. All the basic networking knowledge is covered a bit in the 291, but it's really assumed you know that already. So you'll still need to study up on DNS, DHCP, RRAS, and IPsec. If you hit IPsec hard on the CCNA, then maybe that'll help you in that area. So yeah, bottom line, having the knowledge of a CCNA doesn't really help all that much for the 291 IMO.
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    JayrodEF wrote:
    Well, I'm not a CCNA yet, but will be shortly. =) From my studying the CCNA, there's not really any overlap between the CCNA and the 291. All the basic networking knowledge is covered a bit in the 291, but it's really assumed you know that already. So you'll still need to study up on DNS, DHCP, RRAS, and IPsec. If you hit IPsec hard on the CCNA, then maybe that'll help you in that area. So yeah, bottom line, having the knowledge of a CCNA doesn't really help all that much for the 291 IMO.

Super-AwesomeO! :)

Well, thats good to know. I had taken three pretest type things that were all about layers of the OSI model and DHCP and VLSM. I look forward to the opportunity to learn something new.

Thanks!

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm not an CCNA but I've studied and taken the test before.

There really isn't any overlap at all. Even if it was a question about traceroute it would be different between platforms as Windows uses TRACERT and Cisco uses TRACEROUTE.

If you were a CCNA I would say you might have 2-3 questions on the 291 you could answer.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is some stuff to know for this test that will relate to the CCNA, but not much, you will see some subnetting questions on this test, 3 tops. You need to have a basic understanding of rip and know not to use it for a network with more than ten routers.

Other than that, this test is BIG on Dns, RRAS, Wsus, dhcp, and in that order. Also some ipsec.

Your best bet is to do a vmware lab with three or so servers and learn Microsoft Dns inside out, this is especially usefull if your planning on taking 293, 294, and 297.

Also get hands on with RRAS and Wsus.

Ms-press self paced training kit 2nd edition, transcender and Cbt nuggets are all very good for this test.