Options

A few questions

changedthegamechangedthegame Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im sure this may have been asked already and I briefly searched but did not find the answers.

1) When you go to CompTIA's site it says that the current test is N10-003 (2007 Edition). Yet when you click on their recommended study guides/books, they are books published from 2005. Is there a 2005 and 2007 version of the N10-003? If so, how do you know what book covers the latter version?

2) For someone with 7 years IT experience, I'm wondering if I even need to get a book to study with. Will the PDF file here cover everything on the exam? I took a few practice questions from CompTIA's site and this one as well and overall did pretty good without reviewing any material, just based on experience. Would I be OK with just the material on the PDF or does it leave stuff out?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Im sure this may have been asked already and I briefly searched but did not find the answers.

1) When you go to CompTIA's site it says that the current test is N10-003 (2007 Edition). Yet when you click on their recommended study guides/books, they are books published from 2005. Is there a 2005 and 2007 version of the N10-003? If so, how do you know what book covers the latter version?

N10-003 is the current exam.

The year "2005"; "2006"; "2007" and now "2008" merely notes the YEAR you took your exam. Nothing more.

2) For someone with 7 years IT experience, I'm wondering if I even need to get a book to study with. Will the PDF file here cover everything on the exam? I took a few practice questions from CompTIA's site and this one as well and overall did pretty good without reviewing any material, just based on experience. Would I be OK with just the material on the PDF or does it leave stuff out?

Depends on what type of student you are and how well you understand the material. For some it is enough. For others they want a couple books. And some want everything in print. Meyers and Sybex put out some of the best books. The PDF here is well put together and worth every penny ;) (seriously, it is very good material and with it being a free download....one cannot go wrong).

So, can you do it? Sure, people have. Will you be one of those? You are the best person to answer that. Review the objectives and see if it is a snap or if you need more clarification.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    changedthegamechangedthegame Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm really suprised as to why they haven't changed the exam in 3 years. That is very long in the IT world where new technology arises every year. Hopefully I don't take this exam and then they change it sometime soon lol.

I think I'll get one of the books you recommended just "to be sure" I pass on the first try. Thanks again, you answered my questions.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'm really suprised as to why they haven't changed the exam in 3 years. That is very long in the IT world where new technology arises every year. Hopefully I don't take this exam and then they change it sometime soon lol.

I think I'll get one of the books you recommended just "to be sure" I pass on the first try. Thanks again, you answered my questions.

Doesn't mean they are not working on it. Beta questions are rumored to be in many exams (for CompTIA and MS exams) There haven't been 'huge' network changes in the past 3 years to warrant a re-write....though I'll bet we'll hear a phase out of N10-003 during this year.

(and don't jump down my throat for the "haven't been huge' changes coment ;) Some wireless changes have become more mainstream in the industry since the last objective change...but certainly, cable length, type, network types, protocols etc.. are basically the same. It's fairly expensive to roll out new exams on a whim so....likely soon but there has been NO FORMAL announcement nor rumor of such a thing that I'm aware of).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?