Passed today!

Dynamik and I met up to take the 293 today, I will let him post his results but I can happily say that I passed with a 790. Of course my pass was not without the usual prometric stesses. I finished question 34 of 43 and saw the usual pause before a simulation. My blood pressure went through the roof when an error briefly popped up and I saw "Stopping Engine" dialog box appear in its place. The engine returned to the initial log on screen and I called the proctor over to assist, the engine would not reopen because it said there was already a test in progress. I wish that were the case. Thankfully, I was able to simply move spots and log in to the exact spot it crashed on me icon_eek.gif .

My findings

I found more NLB and Clustering questions that I had assumed there would be, be ready to get alot of questions on those two. It was only covered in 1/6 of the syngress book but the questions seemed more frequent.

Plenty on PKI/CA and IPSEC, spend most of your time on these, know them well.

Less similarity with the 291 than I expected DNS, RRAS, WSUS, and IPs were only briefly touched upon. If you are fresh of the 291 you should be fine with a brief review, I think I spent too much time rereading these topics looking to learn something new.

I felt this was the trickiest MS exam I have taken, it appeared that extra time was put in to make one or two words change everything (least effort, only, cannot, quickest, etc) At the end I had more questions than normal marked for review due to tricky wording.

43 Questions and 3 sims for me on this one.

Tread lightly and take your time.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.

Comments

• hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    What did you use as study materials. Congrats! as well. Hoping to take mines in a few weeks. But I'm still rusty about the whole thing. I bought CBT Nuggets and the instructor talks kind of fast. Love his sidetalks though.
  • KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    What did you use as study materials. Congrats! as well. Hoping to take mines in a few weeks. But I'm still rusty about the whole thing. I bought CBT Nuggets and the instructor talks kind of fast. Love his sidetalks though.

Oh yeah James rules hehehe.

Congratulations cacharo, this is a very tricky exam and passing it even with 700 is more than enough.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    " I think I spent too much time rereading these topics looking to learn something new. "

Great tip as I'm doing the same thing. I'm also doing it just to be sure I know but it is probably all a waste of time. :)

Good job passing!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cacharo wrote:
    Dynamik and I met up to take the 293 today, I will let him post his results but I can happily say that I passed with a 790. Of course my pass was not without the usual prometric stesses. I finished question 34 of 43 and saw the usual pause before a simulation. My blood pressure went through the roof when an error briefly popped up and I saw "Stopping Engine" dialog box appear in its place. The engine returned to the initial log on screen and I called the proctor over to assist, the engine would not reopen because it said there was already a test in progress. I wish that were the case. Thankfully, I was able to simply move spots and log in to the exact spot it crashed on me icon_eek.gif .

My findings

I found more NLB and Clustering questions that I had assumed there would be, be ready to get alot of questions on those two. It was only covered in 1/6 of the syngress book but the questions seemed more frequent.

Plenty on PKI/CA and IPSEC, spend most of your time on these, know them well.

Less similarity with the 291 than I expected DNS, RRAS, WSUS, and IPs were only briefly touched upon. If you are fresh of the 291 you should be fine with a brief review, I think I spent too much time rereading these topics looking to learn something new.

I felt this was the trickiest MS exam I have taken, it appeared that extra time was put in to make one or two words change everything (least effort, only, cannot, quickest, etc) At the end I had more questions than normal marked for review due to tricky wording.

43 Questions and 3 sims for me on this one.

Tread lightly and take your time.

congrats cacharo, just 2 more away from the MCSE?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • 1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Thanks everyone for the kudos
    Mmartin_47 wrote:

I always start with CBT Nuggets, you can never go wrong with them.

I used Syngress as my primary book (read it cover to cover including tests and labs)

Transcender tests to find my weaker areas

MS Press as a supplement to the weak areas reported by Transcender (I know most reviews on this book are bad, I used it sparingly)

Transcender again

Review CBTs and Syngress labs only front to back to close it out.

snadam wrote:

congrats cacharo, just 2 more away from the MCSE?

Yeah Baby!
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.