70-620 Is it worth anything?

tlpwwxtlpwwx Inactive Imported Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I don't mean to be too negative or discourage anyone in their pursute of a certification but I thought that readers of this forum would find a recent interview experience I had with DELL in Nashville interesting.
My interview went very well. At the end I asked the two interviewers( very nice and relaxed interview) what my prospects for getting the job were. They told me that the only problem they could see was that they were unfamiliar with the MCTS certification and that if I had the CompTIA A+, MCSA, or now discontinued MCSE, it would have been better. I was really surprised considering that the person who called me to schedule the interview said that the MCTS was okay.
I did not get the job. And considering what the interviewers said I can only think that the MCTS certification was part of the reason.
This brings me to another problem which is how Microsoft has changed the certification track. Since the changes away from MSCE ( which MS has been sued for in many jurisdictions due to the use of the term engineer) the MCTS is required for us to be full MCPs. One can pass the server exams but not be considered an MCP without the MCTS.!?!?!?!
This is quite frustrating. Right now, with the MCTS certification, my Associates Degree in IT, and two bucks, I can get a cheap cup of coffee.
My best hope of getting a decent IT job will now require me to get the Server 2008 certification. I had planned on doing this anyway after getting an entry level position but it is taking so long to find one that I may as well go ahead and start working to prepare for the Server 2008 exam.
This has been disappointing to say the least.
I hope readers of this forum will find this information useful, but not be totally discouraged from seeking the 70-620 certification. Only, that they would be prepared if they ran into the same situation as I did.
Good luck to all.
"ad astra per alia porci" ( To the moon on the wings of a pig)-John Steinbeck

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm assuming it was for one of their tech support positions? A+ carries the most weight with them from my experience because they care the most about being able to troubleshoot hardware problems and software problems come secondary because you can always just do an image restore. A+ is also very high profile when it comes to tech support positions. The MCTS is the new kid on the block so it may take it a while before it becomes as recognized as an MCP, MCSA or MCSE. Not that I think that the MCSA is too well recognized but it may be more so than the new certs currently.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And considering what the interviewers said I can only think that the MCTS certification was part of the reason.
    So you're saying having the certification actually hurt you? I doubt you didn't get the job because you had a credential they were unfamiliar with. More accurately, you didn't get it because you weren't qualified in what they were familiar with.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If i were you I would just get your A+ before anything else. People who hire for IT dont always understand what they are hiring. One thing is for sure, everyone knows A+.
  • tlpwwxtlpwwx Inactive Imported Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick responses. I really appreciate them.
    Yes, I was interviewing for a Gold Level 1 support position.
    I agree that I was not qualified in what the hiring department was familiar with, too. It seems painfully obvious, unfortunately.
    I would greatly appreciate any further input that such experienced readers would give me.
    I have had the CompTIA A+ course and recieved an A in it. I think I could review my course materials and take the exam fairly quickly with success.
    From my understanding of the MCP eSeminar a few weeks ago, MS has changed the certification path and the MCTS is required to become a full MCP regardless of whether I had gone ahead and successfully passed the Server 2003 or 2008 exams. That was the main point I wanted to inform forum readers about, as well as the situation I encountered with the DELL interview just so they would know that they may encounter some unfamiliarity in the hiring departments when it somes to the MCTS certification.
    Maybe I should have titled my posting diferently, but that is why I posed the topic as a question.
    Yes, I do believe the MCTS certification is worth something. If for no other reason but the fact it is an absolute requirement in the way MS has changed the certiication track.
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I will begin preparing for the A+ then continue on to Server 2008.
    Best regards to all.
    "ad astra per alia porci" ( To the moon on the wings of a pig)-John Steinbeck
  • TAHA95TAHA95 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i understand what u want to say but the problem is here,now see if u have the mcse certification and u want to depend on it in ur whole life,thats not possible.Because the mcse will be out of market in 3 years or maximum 5 years.After that its mcts which will go on.I am 13 years old and had planned to do my mcse but instead i have mcts 620.

and the reason y u didnt get the job was that the interviewers were not familiar with the latest technology.

u might get a new job better than this one

good luck :D
  • Don 79 TADon 79 TA Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If i were you I would just get your A+ before anything else. People who hire for IT dont always understand what they are hiring. One thing is for sure, everyone knows A+.

yeah i second that

funny how i talk Wireless#, CWNA, and CWSP and people are like huh?
    do you have A+

lol