Options

help in linux kernel for embedded system

turtlenodheadturtlenodhead Inactive Imported Users Posts: 28 ■■□□□□□□□□
any source on the web that is helpful for beginner.

currently working on a project. having no previous knowledge(barely even know linux let alone about kernel.

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    ...you're posts confuse me. You just said that you barely know Linux let alone the kernel, yet I see that you have your Linux+ cert. How is that possible? Granted, Linux+ is basic Linux, but I've learned a ton just installing Slackware and messing with it a bit.

Anyway...what exactly do you want to know, and what distro are you using?
  • Options
    Rough layout on taking the linux kernel, adding source code, compile it and enable it to run on a hardware device.

Preferable info related to networking. Basically asking how people write the software part inside a cisco router.

The OS is actually pretty much finished by other people. But I have very difficult time reading and trying to understand it. And it's really difficult for a junior person like me to ask other seniors since they are always so busy.

I'm using redhat linux9(vmware ontop of windowsxp)
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off - how are your basic program writing skills - writing scripts and batch files etc?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    First off - how are your basic program writing skills - writing scripts and batch files etc?

pretty much non existence. if there is any good online tutorial on scripts/batch file that would really help.

Knowledge on C, socket programming are decent.

For makefile, can't really remember what is "-f" do in the makefile... can help if know.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not an expert on this, but the Linux guru at work suggested that you get a little experience writing scripts and batch files before you try playing with a Linux Kernel.

makefile - A script which tells the Unix program "make" how to build a particular computer program or set of programs. A makefile contains variable assignments and rules of the form

target: inputs commands

which say if any of the files in "inputs" has been modified more recently than file "target" (or if the target does not exist) then execute "commands", which will normally bulid "target" from "inputs".

If make is run with no arguments, it looks for a makefile called "Makefile" or "makefile".

As far as I know, -f means for whether a file exists and is a normal file and not a directory or device file.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007