Feel like I am falling behind

So i signed up for a course that is a year long. In that time, I can take as many tests and get as many certs as I can. I signed up with the intent to get my MCDBA and my MCSD. I started out with 70-229 and passed it. I get the emails from microsoft and set up my account. I notice this link on my MCP home page. I click on it and it shows tests that will soon be discontinued. Sure enough, ever test that the school I am going to offers is on the list, except 70-290 and 70-291. My heart sank and I started to feel like I was studying (and paying) for something that was about to be obsolete. I also started to wonder how it would affect my chances of getting a job. It was starting to feel like ITT Tech all over ago. Different story, pm if you really want o know. The school that I am going to does not offer the MCITP or MCPD tests as of right now. Am I wasting my time? Will I be far behind as far as the technology that is out there now? I know that there are upgrade tests but it just seems that when I do get around to studying for them, I will probably be further behind. Well, that's my little rant. Questions, comments, let me know as I am feeling a little down. Thanks for listening.

Jeremy

BTW, if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it as I didn't know where it belonged.

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Unfortunately, if the learning center you're registering with is not a Microsoft Certified Learning Solutions provider, it very often has obsolete courses, 2nd rate quality education, and can even be worse than self-study to learn. This isn't to say that this is always the case, but it is more often than not.

What are the other exams you're looking to take?
    Good luck to all!
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    They are a Microsoft Certified Partner, they have that plastered all over the room.

For the MCDBA, these are the tests they offer:
    70-228
    70-229
    70-290
    70-293

For the MCSD:
    70-229 (overlap from MCDBA)
    70-300
    70-305
    70-306
    70-310

If all else, I can take the 70-270, 70-290 and 70-291 and get my MCSA since I already have my A+ and Net+.
  • DrFlashDrFlash Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depending on the job you take passing these exams is still worth a lot. Microsoft hasnt released all their new exams yet. and most companies still use a XP / 2003 environment so these exams fit that perfectly.

once the next big windows server upgrade comes and becomes common you would want to upgrade your certs but 2003 should be fine for now.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The MCDBA is from SQL 2000 which is pretty obsolete.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    jbrown414 wrote:
    They are a Microsoft Certified Partner, they have that plastered all over the room.

Are they a certified Learning Solutions Provider, though? Many of these kinds of companies also do consulting work. They could just be offering learning solutions in addition to that, but don't specialize in it or can't meet the requirements MS has for being a Learning Solutions Provider.

Also, keep in mind ANYONE can become a Microsoft Certified Partner. I'm a Certified Partner, too. That and a dollar can buy you a drink from a vending machine. It only means something when they're a Gold Partner or something like that.
    Good luck to all!
  • DrFlashDrFlash Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:

I actually got my MCDBA for SQL 2000 last year. I picked that one myself as with windows 2003/2007 SQL 2000 is very populair still. though im now seeing a slow movement to 2005. ill probably upgrade to 2005 next year or so.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would get the certs and then upgrade to the next level.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Are they a certified Learning Solutions Provider, though?

I'll get back to you on that one as I will be going there after work.
    nel wrote:
    i would get the certs and then upgrade to the next level.

This is still an option that I am thinking about. My hope was to get my MCDBA and MCSD and get a job doing either one at entry level and then start getting some hands on experience. I do not currently work at a place that does either. With hands on experience I could start working towards the upgrade path. The MCITP database admin upgrade path is 2 tests (431 and 447)but I feel I would need to study as if I was starting from scratch. The MCSD to MCPD seems like it would take a lot more.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    jbrown414 wrote:
    So i signed up for a course that is a year long. In that time, I can take as many tests and get as many certs as I can. I signed up with the intent to get my MCDBA and my MCSD. I started out with 70-229 and passed it. I get the emails from microsoft and set up my account. I notice this link on my MCP home page. I click on it and it shows tests that will soon be discontinued. Sure enough, ever test that the school I am going to offers is on the list, except 70-290 and 70-291. My heart sank and I started to feel like I was studying (and paying) for something that was about to be obsolete. I also started to wonder how it would affect my chances of getting a job. It was starting to feel like ITT Tech all over ago.

What school is it? Personally I think there are a lot of BUNK schools out there and the IT Professionals should have a list or something to tell people which to steer clear of. Like an epinions for schools.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DrFlash wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

I actually got my MCDBA for SQL 2000 last year. I picked that one myself as with windows 2003/2007 SQL 2000 is very populair still. though im now seeing a slow movement to 2005. ill probably upgrade to 2005 next year or so.

Yeah sorry I meant to elaborate more but I had to go to a meeting so I cut it short.

Its not worthless but still too old to worry about. It is where Exchange 2000 is now IMO which I would only get the 2003 cert.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    I feel a little better after talking to my instructor last night. He told me that they do offer the MCTS: .Net 2.0 web applications since there is a student taking that course. He is going to check into other new tests that will be available soon. Looks like I can skip the MCSD and get my MCTS .Net 2.0 and then shoot for MCPD on my own if I have to.

BTW, all I could find was that they are a Microsoft gold partner.