setting up VMware for 290 labs

empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
I'm in the process of putting together a 290 lab. I'm having trouble getting DNS to work to connect computers. I have looked around and seen that you don't learn to do DNS till 291. The problem is that I only have a 290 book, so I was wondering does anybody have any pointers on setting up a small 1 server 1 client machine so I can work this this inside VMware. Any help will be needed. Maybe I can trade some cisco knolowdge with you in return.

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    That shouldn't be too difficult what exactly do you want to server to do? DNS, AD, DHCP? there's a lot of ways you can set it up so maybe give us a little more detail as to what you want to create exactly.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    if you don't have dhcp set up, you need to manually point the clients to the dns server. if you set up dhcp on your server, turn off dhcp in the network settings for vmware, then set the clients to obtain server addresses automatically.
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I want to get active directory setup on a server set as the domain controller and 1 client workstation talking to each other. From googling online I see that you have to have DNS setup and thats where my problem has been at. I have looked and found tutorials on how to setup DNS, and my machines can ping each other, I just can't get my client to join the domain.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to point your client at your DC for DNS. It needs the SRV record in order to join the domain. Did you have DNS configured automatically when you promoted your machine to a DC?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik pointed this out to me when I was making the same mistake.

You need to have your server's IP address configured in the client's tcp/ip (network connections) properties in Use the Following DNS server addresses. Set it to obtain an IP address automatically, that's if you dont have a DHCP set), and you should be good. Give us a yell if there's any further issues! :)

Also, make sure you choose NAT when configuring the networking aspect of the virtual machine.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    MobilTech wrote:
    Also, make sure you choose NAT when configuring the networking aspect of the virtual machine.

That'll get your machines out to the internet, but I don't think you'll be able to have multiple VMs communicate with each other if they're all behind NAT. A single VM behind NAT would be able to communicate with the host and other machines on the network, but like I said, I think you'll run into problems with multiple machines. Either bridging them to the actual network or setting up a network segment specifically for your VMs is usually the best way to go.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I set up a network adapter VMnet9 to use 10.1.0.0/24 as a network. I have dc1 using this and a VMnet0 bridged to the host. dc1 provides DHCP, DNS, and is my primary DC. All other machines are using VMnet9 and are set to obtain addresses automatically, so IP and DNS is automatically configured. From there I set up dc1 as a RAS and everyone obtains internet access through dc1. Make sure you turn off the firewall on the DC! You will find everything works after this. This is because you need to open certain ports to have things working. Easiest thing to do is run the Security Configuration Wizard. The SCW can be installed from the Add/Remove Programs component. This will turn off Windows Firewall and setup a basic firewall that allows only the ports necessary to run your services.

Good luck.
    everybody thanks for all the help, when I get home from work I'ma put this into play. This is my goal for the weekend, so I can get back on task for this. I have virtual PC which was already set up from class, but doing it all on your own I think will help in the long run.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    MobilTech wrote:

That'll get your machines out to the internet, but I don't think you'll be able to have multiple VMs communicate with each other if they're all behind NAT. A single VM behind NAT would be able to communicate with the host and other machines on the network, but like I said, I think you'll run into problems with multiple machines. Either bridging them to the actual network or setting up a network segment specifically for your VMs is usually the best way to go.

I use NAT, my systems get out to the internet, and all my internal machines communicate just fine. Just as long as you use the default gateway correctly that is set up in VMWare NAT settings, it'll work just fine since you will still be using the same subnet. Because the other machines will be on the same subnet, it'll work just fine.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Ah, the key is having them on the same subnet, right? My VMs are spread out over several, often with multiple machines behind RRAS, which is why I didn't expect that to work. Thanks for the clarification.
    almost got it. I'm just getting the logon failure: target account name incorrect
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Try a ipconfig /flushdns /registerdns. Someone I know had the same problem as yours, and what he did was took the server off the domain, then rejoined it and the problem went away.

Are you able to ping the server by IP address/host name? If the machine cant resolve the host name, you have the DNS misconfigured. There could be a problem with NetBIOS too. There is some nbstat command too that can fix a problem with NetBIOS but I am not sure of the syntax. Flush the DNS, if it doesnt fix your problem, rejoin the machine to the domain and restart it. LEt us know how you go.

EDIT : Have a look at this http://www.searchmarked.com/windows/how-to-deal-with-login-failure-the-target-account-name-is-incorrect-on-a-windows-file-share.php
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Thanks for all the help I got it to work today with the tips provided, now I can get back to studying. I guess this was just some prep work for the beast which is next. :D
  • tigerplugtigerplug Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Set up a host only network.

Give the Domain Controller IP address of 192.168.1.1
    Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    Set the default gateway to the gateway you setup (if you have).

Run DCPROMO on the domain controller - You will be prompted that there is no DNS server .... select the option which allow you to install DNS server on the DC. While this is installing it will set the DNS of you DC to 127.0.0.1.

Set all client computers DNS settings to 192.168.1.1 (thats the IP of your domain controller - which has DNS server installed and running).

While the solution I gave was very simple... its just a suggestion to get things up an
    d running quickly without having to go through the 70-291 stuff.

Hope you can make sense of that. Good luck with your studies!
    The 70-290 isn't really as hard as you think.
  • RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heh,

I am doing the same thing myself. I am setting up a DC,DHCP,Client VM's for testing; mostly just for reference and for some command line AD scripting I wanted to experiment with.

Tigerplug is right. The 290 is probably not that that bad; especially if you have some general networks/administrative experience. But, it probably doesn't hurt to overcompensate a bit if you have the time.