Options

SSCP ... and CBK Study Guide version ?

ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am thinking of taking the SSCP, and have two books (SSCP Examination Textbooks Vol 1: Theory and Vol 2: Practice by Vallabhaneni).

I noticed that these two prep books cover the Common Body of Knowledge of 2001.

I believe (ISC)2 has updated the SSCP to cover the CBK6.

Anyone here has hear/used the two volumes mentioned above ?
Do you think studying for the CBK 2001 will be sufficient for this exam ?
What other resources would you recommend to make sure all the study-material is covered ?

Thanks for all your feedback.
----
Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
Future tests:
in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Well I did a quick google search and didn't find anything directly to your question...
    https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=98
    Thats is the description page for the exam which i'm sure you know about JD just took the exam and will probably give the best review and recommendations.

This thread also discusses some study material for you:

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30178

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Thanks Shednik for your replies.

I had (ISC)2 email me the SSCP-Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) ... since they do not allow you to download it, and the date listed is ..."Effective Date - November 1, 2006."

I do not know how often CBKs change, but I have noticed that my study material is lacking in some areas. Even the most popular study book, "SSCP Study Guide"by Josh Jacobs, publisher Syngress, is dated (2003) ** this is available on Books24x7.com

I noticed on Amazon, that there is now available "Official (ISC)2 Guide to the SSCP CBK ((Isc)2 Press) (Hardcover)" (from April 2007) but a bit pricey.[/list]
    ----
    Future tests:
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    I'm actually currently writing up a review of the entire SSCP certification process, which will include study material recommendations. However, seeing as how that posting may be a couple of weeks away, here is my recommendation for SSCP study material:

The primary resource is the SSCP Gold book. I have issues with the style and editing of the 1st edition of this book, but the content is very recent and fits the exam quite nicely. I also found the CISSP Gold book and Shon Harris' CISSP All-In-One (3rd or 4th ed.) to be very relevant to the SSCP exam as well (and especially recommended if you will be taking the CISSP exam one day). The AIO is also a very easy read, so you might want to start with that one first.

More inexpensive SSCP study guides include the ones from Syngress and Wiley. I bought both of these from the discount booksellers on Amazon.com for under $10US each (including shipping). I wouldn't recommend using only these books as your only study material unless you already know the information in all of the domains of the SSCP quite well.

If you are not sure that you want to actually take the SSCP exam, I suggest that you sign up for a free account on www.cccure.org and have a look at the free SSCP study notes available on there as a PDF and the postings in the SSCP forum. Also run through some of the SSCP practice questions at www.freepracticetests.org to get a pretty good feel for the type of questions that are on the exam.

As always, what study materials you use and what and how much you need to study depends entirely on you and your knowledge and experience with the topics covered by the exam. Remember that the purpose of studying for certifications is to learn new information and not only to pass the exam.
  • Options
    JD,

Awesome review!

The only thing that I would add is the additional info (practice tests) and material you posted here:
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33246.

RomGabe
    - trying to nail down the material for the SSCP
    ----
    Future tests:
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    ROMGabe wrote:
    The only thing that I would add is the additional info (practice tests) and material you posted here:
    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33246.
    I didn't use those practice exams so I didn't mention them. My recommendations are only from my personal experience in prepping for the SSCP exam.