Configuring VPN on Catalyst 2948G -L3 Switch

annointed3annointed3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I need help in a configuring a vpn on a Catalyst 2948G-L3 Switch.I'm not studying for the CCNA, but I figured this question may help the folks that are studying for the CCNA. I have no prior Cisco experience. I am able to access the switch console, but I'm having problems creating a vpn. What I would like to do is configure 2 vpn's that will allow me to have to seperate networks that can communicate to each other. I would like to configure these vpn's by port. I will plug 1 hub into port 4 and will have network 1, and then I will plug another hub into port 40 and have network 2. I need to have the ability to transfer data between both networks.

Below are some of the commands that I've tried:

Cat2948G-L3>
Cat2948G-L3>en
Password:
Password:
Cat2948G-L3#show vlan

No Virtual LANs configured.

Cat2948G-L3#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Cat2948G-L3(config)#vlan 0004
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Cat2948G-L3(config)#

Again I'm just started to learn about Cisco. We have a switch here in our lab, and I'm trying to learn how to use it.Thanks in advance for you help.

Comments

• MiekMiek Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

you can find lots of information on the cisco site.
    This may help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps672/products_tech_note09186a0080093f8f.shtml

Greetz ;)

Miek
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i am sorry... but did i miss something here, like vpn on a switch?? or vlan on a switch?? for me vpn is rras and vlan is your switch ports... am i wrong here?? have you create the vlan database ?? do you have the ip and subnet correct?? how about your vtp domain - is it set??
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I understand correctly...you want to create a vlan right??? With the Cisco switches you can't configure them for VPN's...VPN's for configured at the Router level. Anyway it looks like you're trying to create a vlan. By default vlan1 is in your switch. To create a vlan you have to to this:

switch#vlan database
    switch(vlan)vlan xxx

OR

switch(config)#int vlanxxx

That will create vlans in your switch...then from there you can assign any port(s) you want to the desired vlan. I do this all day at work on the 2900, 3508, 3500, and 3550 switches.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good source to learn from.

Nice Miek!!! icon_thumright.gif
    Miek wrote:
    Hi,

you can find lots of information on the cisco site.
    This may help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps672/products_tech_note09186a0080093f8f.shtml

Greetz ;)

Miek
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • annointed3annointed3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was using the incorrect terminology above, what I want to implement are vlans. The problem is, it appears that I do not have a vlan database created on this switch. For example, the vlan and vlan database , vtp commands do not work. This switch is running IOS version 12. Any ideas on how I create a vlan database?
  • Mick_isaMick_isa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Try this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps672/products_tech_note09186a0080093f8f.shtml

I had a similar problem with the 2948GL-3 where I was asked to configure it as just a Layer 2 switch. The only problem is, is that it doesnt support VTP.

Hopefully this site will help though!
  • Mick_isaMick_isa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From my experience, when I accidently chose 2 correct answers instead of choosing 3 correct answers, the exam wouldnt let me continue until I have answered all three.

I dont think it would be possible to skip questions as you wouldnt have put any answers in which would make the program prompt you to answer the question before continuing.