lockdown tool looking for or technique

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey gurus

was wondering. I know how to code to prevent right clicking of our website
but how do you code to prevent anyone from saving the webpage and getthing the code
and images/html pages that way? is there a way to dsiable saving of the website????
thanks

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If it can be loaded in a web browser it can be saved. You can make things more difficult through scripting, but you can't make it impossible. Personally I don't think it is anything you should worry about either. The amount of time and effort it takes to develop a more creative solution is time you could spend refining the design of the site or doing something else more productive.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Get your filthy hands off my code pirate!

But you cant stop people using Offline Explorer.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not worth the trouble, as said by undomiel. Remember, their browser HAS to be able to read and interpret the code in order to display it to the user. How can you then lock it down? The old trick of disabling a right click only works to keep my mom (who is in her 60's) from doing stuff that she doesn't know how to do anyway. icon_lol.gif

Although you might be able to do something creative using java.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    hetty wrote:
    Get your filthy hands off my code pirate!

But you cant stop people using Offline Explorer.

You can still click "View">"Source". Highlight and use CTR+C will still copy. So will "Edit">"Copy". Etc.
    Very true, it'll only stop someone who doesnt really know how to use a computer. But I still see it being used.
    Doesn't work at all under opera.

Of course an alternative is you could obfuscate your code to the point of anyone who looks at it wouldn't even want to use.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    but can't i disalbe SAVE drop down?..what about hackers copying entire website and
    then causing DNS flooding which cause you go to say their(bad) server???? and have
    say people put in their banking information. or is that old school technology?

we have been Phished here at our credit union. some hackers copied our website
    and setup a fack site that is why i ma looking into possibliteis. kind of essential to us
    financials..get this

network solutions sold them a domain name out of jamaca but cards were remade
    and spent in Romania..so they made a mock website sent members to it via email
    and bam got their cards...

so i am looking into solutions to stp them from copying our site..
    Not sure there is anything you can do on your end, other than forewarn your customers. Especially if there is any known incident.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hetty wrote:
    Not sure there is anything you can do on your end, other than forewarn your customers. Especially if there is any known incident.

Exactly. Educating your customers is all you can do. There's no way you can prevent people from taking content that is publicly available.
    Further more, it is pretty easy to reconstruct a site as well. They could just take a screenshot and then reimplement everything in that in just a few hours depending upon the complexity of the site. After all they don't have to go through the difficult design stage, it is just the easy implementation stage. I come from art school so I know how these things work. We would do things like that all the time for school projects. So there really is nothing that you could do even if you could actually prevent them from copying the code and images. Stick to educating your customers and getting phishing sites black listed with all the popular validators out there.
    Unless you can control the world's DNS, there will always be phishing going on. It's really up to the customer in many ways. The best protection from that kind of scam is to surf safely. IE has built in phishing filter now, though I admit I do not use it.

Many of the largest security vendors (the sidewinder folks, symantec, many others) now have services that can protect agianst this kind of thing using databases (like virus def databases) and real time DNS lookups to detect phishing and other malicious sites. Unfortunately these are Enterprise level services at the moment, not something a home user can subscribe to.
    opendns.com is one way for the home user to be a bit safer.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Really it is the reality of the technology. It's wasn't designed back in the early 90s for us to be doing all this. Remind people on your home page "we will never ask you for your xyz"

Flash is a great platform to write your entire site in if you want complete control. But you'd be amazed how many people are not running a modern version of it.
    -Daniel
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thank you to all that replled. I was just curious! I guess you really can't lock up a Lion when it was meant to live free!

education i agree with but you would be shocked as to how many people in these
    country towns do not have a clue about computer yet! some or many still
    run dialup Yikes! icon_eek.gif
    itdaddy wrote:
    thank you to all that replled. I was just curious! I guess you really can't lock up a Lion when it was meant to live free!

I love some of your analogies Robert! icon_lol.gif
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Really it is the reality of the technology. It's wasn't designed back in the early 90s for us to be doing all this. Remind people on your home page "we will never ask you for your xyz"

Flash is a great platform to write your entire site in if you want complete control. But you'd be amazed how many people are not running a modern version of it.

From a security stand point flash is really no better. You can just download the flash and then decompile it.