Options

Should I even bother taking the class

bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm want to take A+ and I was just wondering if there even a point of me taking a class at a local community college. It's an online class, so besically you sit at home go through the book anwser questions and make take a quick or test once in a while.

Do you guys think that I'm better off just buying the books and just studying on my own instead of spending $800 dollars or so for both A+ Hardware and A+ OS?
There is two books for A+ Hardware:
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Hardware-Managing-Maintaining-Troubleshooting/dp/0619217626/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1210789373&sr=11-1
and
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Hardware-Managing-Maintaining-Troubleshooting/dp/0619217669/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1210789336&sr=11-1

Should I just buy a different book?

This is just A+ Hardware so I would have to take A+ OS.

I just became MCDST after studying for 2 months and I'm taking 70-270 and 70-621 within the next month or so.

I would appricate your input?

Thanks,
Bogdan
Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    If you have a MCDST you should have no problem doing self study.
    I prefer the Michael Meyers book as well as jean andrews A+ 2006 book.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    You might want to take a look at CompTIA's objectives. The exams aren't OS and Hardware based anymore. There are four exams of which you have to take two. One is Essentials, which you have to take and you have the option of three others for the second one. Read some of the stickies on the forum before you get started.
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    bogdan5 wrote:
    I'm want to take A+ and I was just wondering if there even a point of me taking a class at a local community college. It's an online class, so besically you sit at home go through the book anwser questions and make take a quick or test once in a while.

Do you guys think that I'm better off just buying the books and just studying on my own instead of spending $800 dollars or so for both A+ Hardware and A+ OS?
    There is two books for A+ Hardware:
    http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Hardware-Managing-Maintaining-Troubleshooting/dp/0619217626/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1210789373&sr=11-1
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Hardware-Managing-Maintaining-Troubleshooting/dp/0619217669/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1210789336&sr=11-1

Should I just buy a different book?

This is just A+ Hardware so I would have to take A+ OS.

I just became MCDST after studying for 2 months and I'm taking 70-270 and 70-621 within the next month or so.

I would appricate your input?

Thanks,
    Bogdan

I would self study for the cert. If you need the college credit get your A+ first, and then an easy A with little effort in the class. You will likely need to go further into depth after the class to pass anyway, so this route works the best. At least for me. The books you listed are included in COMPTIA's suggested books but I prefer Sybex for COMPTIA certs. The book by Sybex
    is 50 bucks and covers both tests.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cacharo wrote:

I would self study for the cert. If you need the college credit get your A+ first, and then an easy A with little effort in the class. You will likely need to go further into depth after the class to pass anyway, so this route works the best. At least for me. The books you listed are included in COMPTIA's suggested books but I prefer Sybex for COMPTIA certs. The book by Sybex
    is 50 bucks and covers both tests.

+1, if you need the college credit, take it. Our Junior college gives you an automatic A if you pass the actual exam up to 3 weeks after semesters end. Its pretty great. I flew through a few classes that way. You should find out if thats the case with your school. If this is just for personal/work related purposes, and/or not required for your degree, skip the class and study for a few months and pass it.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for all your input.

I'll get 70-270 and 70-621 out of the way and I'll start studying for A+.
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.