Options

Question about salary

wheelywheely Member Posts: 105
I have seen some jobs that require you to include your salary expectations when submitting your resume. I was told that it is not a good idea to do this because you may expect one salary and the salary may be higher and they will try and lowball you because you said something lower.

Would like peoples thoughts on this.

I have been looking for a job since January, but no luck because of lack of experience. I can't even find volunteer work because the economy is so bad right now.

What should my expected salary be since I have the following: A+, Net+, and Security+. Also an Associates in Computer Networking.

Most help desk jobs around my area start at about $15. (Keep South Carolina in mind).

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you looking to get out of help desk? If not, its probably your best bet at the moment. With that skillset, I did helpdesk stuff for a few years.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    I've never had a real IT job. I am currently looking for my first IT job. The only experience I have is helping with a PC Clinic with the local college and while in high school I went to a career center and helped out there while taking classes.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wheely wrote:
    I've never had a real IT job. I am currently looking for my first IT job. The only experience I have is helping with a PC Clinic with the local college and while in high school I went to a career center and helped out there while taking classes.

with the credentials you hold, you should be able to find a good helpdesk position somewhere. Best chance to get a job IMO. You learn the ropes quickly as well.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you considering contract gigs? There always seem to be some of those available in the Carolinas. Have you tried to get with a local recruiter?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I have considered contracts but can't seem to find one that matches my skillset and yes I have gone to a recruiter at Robert Half.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Well you got to start somewhere. 15 and hour is not a bad starting salary with not experience on paper.

Stay somewhere for 6 months to a year and see what happens. You might move up in that company, or other opportunities might present themselves. Getting the first gig is always the hardest. From there other doors will certainly open and you can really move up.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    $15 an hour is almost as much as I'm making as an admin! Just remember that it is all a negotiation. If you are forced into naming a number then make sure it is a high one as they'll always try to low-ball you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/