Taking NET+ June 3rd Any Tips?

RapidFireRapidFire Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I am scheduled to take the NET+ test June 3rd, not only if I pass will I get the certification but an A+ in my networking class, do you guys recommended how I should prepare for this? This will be my second cert test; MCP - passed

Studying Materials:

Thomson Network+ Guide to Networks 4th edition
TECHEXAMS.net Study Guide

Ive currently taken some persoanly notes from these forums and tell me what you think, sry if its a rly big post.

Novell - ?
Mac - ?
Unix - ?

Length of all cables

10baseT - ?? meters - 10Mb/s
10baseFL - ?? meters - 10Mb/s
100baseTX - 100 meters - 100Mb/s
100baseFX - 400 meters -
Gigabit Ethernet - ?? meters - 1gb/s
1000baseT - ?
1000baseLX - 550 meters - ?/s
10Gigabit Ethernet - ?
10GBaseSR - 300 meters - ?/s
10GBaseLR - 10km - ?/s
10GBaseER - 40km - ?/s
ISDN - 18,000ft

All devices, what they do and where in the OSI they go
Hubs - Physical
Repeaters - Physical
LAN - Physical
MAN - Physical
Switches - Data Link/Network
Bridges - Data Link
Routers - Network
NICs - Data Link/Physical
WAPs - Data Link/Physical
IP,IPX,ICMP,RIP,OSPF,BGP - Network
TCP,UDP,NETBEUI,SPX - Transport
RPC,NETBIOS - Session
TELNET,HTTP,FTP,TFTP,SMTP,NTP - Application

1. Physical
2. Data Link
3. Network
4. Transport
5. Session
6. Presentation
7. Application

The most common ports
20 FTP - File Transfer Protocol
21 FTP - File Transfer Protocol
22 SSH - Secure Shell
23 Telnet - "Tel the Net" Michael Jordan is coming! It's 23 his number
25 SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
53 DNS - Domain Name Service
69 TFTP - Trivial File Transfer Protocol
80 HTTP - Hypertext Transfer Protocol
88 Kerberos
110 POP3 - Post Office Protocol Version 3
119 NNTP - Network News Transport Protocol
123 NTP - Network Time Protocol
143 IMAP4 - Internet Message Access Prtocol Version 4
443 HTTPS - Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure

Token Ring
4-16Mb/s
Maximum of 250 attachments per segment
Uses Twisted Paire Cabling (cat3(4mb/s)cat5(15Mb/s)
Uses Token Passing as access method
Logical Topology Ring, Physical topology is star.
Uses RJ-45

Kerberos - if it doesn't work, sync the time

NWLINK is Microsofts implementationm of IPX/SPX that allows Windows Clients to communicate with older Netware servers that rnu IPX/SPX. For Netware 5 and up you can simply use TCP/IP.

Bindery only used on novell 3.12

what to do to get a WIN2000 client to access a Mac server

MAC - ?bits/?bytes
IPv6 addresses - 128bit/?bytes

security protocols
IPSec - Internet Portocol Security
L2TP - Layer 2 Tunneling Portocol
SSL - Secure Sockets Layer
802.1x- ?

access methods
RAS - Remote Access Service
PPP - Point-to-Point Protocol
SLIP - Serial Line Internet Protocol
PPPoE - Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet
VPN - Virtual Private Network
RDP - Remote Desktop Protocol

802.11 - ?

network implementation - ?
modal interference - ?
GSNW - ?

If you see any mistakes please correct me and (fell free to add anything you think I may have missed or need), mainly b/c I loaned my flashdrive w/ this file to a friend and found this at the bottom -_-

(So not on the Net+)

Thanks for reading my novel of a post :D
12/31/89 n00b?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    What exactly is your question? icon_rolleyes.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That is a lot of data.

Make sure you have installed, updated, created network shares, printer server and add/removed users on Linux, MacOS, Novell, NT4 and 2000. Make sure you run those labs. Dial up servers are a good idea too, but I don't know if they are covered anymore.
    -Daniel
  • RapidFireRapidFire Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well i guess its a two part question

1. How should I prepare, before taking the exam.
    2. Is the info, I posted right?
    12/31/89 n00b?
    RapidFire wrote:
    well i guess its a two part question

1. How should I prepare, before taking the exam.
    2. Is the info, I posted right?

Have experience.

Read the objectives

Review the PDF in the TechNotes here, consider an additional source like Meyers or Sybex.

Is what you posted, correct??? Do you want it proof-read or do you have a specific quetions?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    You can download the objectives at the comptia website. I recommend having 2-3 sources for studying.
    http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx

Similar to the technotes on this site, you can download cramsessions study guide version. I recommend both.
    http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/products/list-study-guides.asp

Good Luck!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    Ok Im printing out the cram session notes......as it prints the last page i see it wasting my color ink with the blue front page icon_cry.gif ...but i digress,

As for my sources: TechExam Notes, Thompson 4th edition, and CramSession Study Guide.

Also how many question do you think I need to get correct to pass? I know its out of 500 something.
    12/31/89 n00b?
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    RapidFire wrote:
    Also how many question do you think I need to get correct to pass? I know its out of 500 something.
    how the tests are scored isn't really known so noone can say exactly how many questions you need right to pass
    WIP: IPS exam
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Get to know the speeds of the cable not sure if you didnt know those because of the ?/s at the end. Also know your troubleshooting cmd's and switches that go along with them. know what ifconfig, and top do. Know what bind and squid is used for and know novell protocals like csfn. I got asked a bit on novell netware and mac osx. You should know some on NTFS security and printer permissions. make sure to know cable lengths and also topoligies. Also know wireless security and what would cause wireless signal to drop or weaken. Know what hardware goes with what layer of osi model like router is layer 3 switch layer 2 and so on. If you know all that then ou should be ok. Once you move onto cisco then its a whole knew ball game. Hope that helps.
    Cool thx, also I see your going for your MCP in XP well, I highly recommend **** the PDF and practice test is basically a **** sheet but still know xp stuff. Cant really tell you what was on it, it was a year ago lol sorry I took it @ 7am so I was tired and nervous so i assume my brain erased it. Test is what I recommenced .
    12/31/89 n00b?
    RapidFire wrote:
    Cool thx, also I see your going for your MCP in XP well, I highly recommend xxxxxxxxxx the PDF and practice test is basically a **** sheet but still know xp stuff. Cant really tell you what was on it, it was a year ago lol sorry I took it @ 7am so I was tired and nervous so i assume my brain erased it. Test is what I recommenced .
    \

Apparently RapidFire, you missed something on this site. Our members do not condone cheating nor do they support other members who think this is the way to 'earn' certifications. If you ****, you are a cheater, period.

Learn the material as it pertains to you job and work through it. It takes time, for some years, others it takes a few texts and some conversation on-line with additional white papers.

If you brain erased it, you likely didn't understand the material well enough in the first place. And since you clearly posted you used a ****, you didn't earn it either.

icon_evil.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____