Changing Jobs from Electronics Tech to IT Field.... Help!!

IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, I`ve been working with electronics (communications/intrusion detection systems/CCTV), but I`m getting my degree in Information Assurance. During the years, I`ve been a "jack-of-all-trades" to say the least.. I`ve done PC Tech work, as well as, System administration work, and working with servers. (The security system had a server.) I wanted to change jobs because I didn`t want to always be in this same field. Older people told me to get out of this field while I was still young because I shouldn`t hope to be their age still pulling cable at times and at other times working on electronics in cramped spaces in various weather conditions.

I have obtained my A+, studying my Network+ currently, and fully ready for Security+.. I`ve looked at CCNA, but I want to better myself with Network+ before going onto the CCNA. I`d like to pick up either the MCSA or MCSE, but I`m hoping to do that later cause I am a bit swamped already with college classes and Net+ and Sec+. Could anyone suggest a certification or what I might do or how I might reword my resume to help break into this new field?

Greatly appreciate any help!
Working on: NOTHING
Left To Do: EVERYTHING

Comments

• empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    You pretty much are doing the same thing I did. I was a electronics guy working on missle systmems and decided to jump ship. I got my CCNA 1st then got my N+. I know thats backwards, but I had a free voucher so why not. I would say since you already worked with servers I would do the MCSA/E then move onto the CCNA. At least with the MCSA and you haveing some knolowdge of severs and systems administration you can jump into a job and possibly have 1 where they have switches and routers on site for you to learn some cisco stuff before you sit for your CCNA. I don't have a recommendation for something to get fast, since you are already doing the comptia stuff. Just stay on the path you are on now, and good things will come.
  • IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    But which MCSA or MCSE? Which is best to get? I will start working on either after I get my Net+ and Sec+.. I normally go after contract companies like GD, SAIC, CSC, CACI, Northrop Grumman, etc.. That`s why I was hoping to pile on certs along with my degree and security clearance.. I was figuring I`d have a better chance..
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I believe you get an MCSA on the way to MCSE. You may want to look at Vista certs MCTS and MCITP since they are more up to date.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    mcsa is a subset of the exams you need for mcse.
    So you will in fact get mcsa somewhere on the way to mcse.
    Depending on your experience and knowledge, mcsa might be a more realistic goal right now, and once you have that, you can gain exp, further your knowledge and eventually go for mcse.

Mcse is a bit of a long trek for most people so it migh help to have a goal halfway through.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.mspx
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually, there are a couple of electives that are exclusive to the MCSE, which means that it is possible to get your MCSE without getting your MCSA. This came up a few weeks ago. I felt bad for the poor guy icon_lol.gif

When are you planning on making use of your MS certifications? If it's soon, go with MCSE (which is much more prestigious than the MCSA), if it's a year or two from now, you may want to consider the new MCITP tracks.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    dynamik wrote:
    Actually, there are a couple of electives that are exclusive to the MCSE, which means that it is possible to get your MCSE without getting your MCSA. This came up a few weeks ago. I felt bad for the poor guy icon_lol.gif

Ouch, Yeah, I remember, 70-282 Small business server 2003 is one such exam.
    (thanks dynamik, for pointing it out)
    Its still true in a general sense, tho. Most people get mcsa on the way to mcse.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    I was in the same situation back in 2006. Went from being a Navy ET to working as an ET in the offshore drilling industry. Good money but wasn't what I wanted to do long term so I made the switch to IT. Your location says Japan but you have a Texas avatar. Are you military? I'm originally from Texas and spent 2 years in Japan in the Navy so just curious about that. If you are military and have GI Bill I would recommend using it for some certification training through the accelerated payment program. I used it to take quite a bit of CompTIA and Microsoft training which really cut down on the learning time. I did A+, Net+, MCP, Sec+, then MCSA. Now I'm just 2 exams away from finishing my MCSE which should be sometime this summer.

It was really tough landing my first IT job with no experience and I think that is the case for most people so if you are working keep your job until you get a foot in the door in an IT role. I didn't do that because I had some money set aside and I went 6 months unemployed. Pretty scary! Unless you get lucky you should pretty much expect to be working for peanuts initially. Just use it as motivation to study hard and learn fast. Once you are getting some good experience and adding certs to the resume you can expect to see your pay going up, especially since you are getting your degree.
    Technowiz wrote:
    I was in the same situation back in 2006. Went from being a Navy ET to working as an ET in the offshore drilling industry. Good money but wasn't what I wanted to do long term so I made the switch to IT. Your location says Japan but you have a Texas avatar. Are you military? I'm originally from Texas and spent 2 years in Japan in the Navy so just curious about that. If you are military and have GI Bill I would recommend using it for some certification training through the accelerated payment program. I used it to take quite a bit of CompTIA and Microsoft training which really cut down on the learning time. I did A+, Net+, MCP, Sec+, then MCSA. Now I'm just 2 exams away from finishing my MCSE which should be sometime this summer.

It was really tough landing my first IT job with no experience and I think that is the case for most people so if you are working keep your job until you get a foot in the door in an IT role. I didn't do that because I had some money set aside and I went 6 months unemployed. Pretty scary! Unless you get lucky you should pretty much expect to be working for peanuts initially. Just use it as motivation to study hard and learn fast. Once you are getting some good experience and adding certs to the resume you can expect to see your pay going up, especially since you are getting your degree.

ET, I was and still am a FC for the next few months. I just learned how to hustle it. The IT's wern't doing there jobs at my command and it wasn't much for us to do, so I just moved in. Started with the usual FC/ET stuff like replacing UPS, and hardrives and doing fiber. Got around to doing backups and creating accounts. Somehow I managed to even get into a NOC. :). We got great training being in the military, it was just a matter of asking the right people to hook you up with more training. How long you been out for?
    I got out in 99 as an FC. My situation was pretty unique because I started out as a nuke ET. Got through ET school but washed out of nuclear power school. This was in 95 which might be before your time but they had a rate called DS, Data Systems Technician and at that time they were extremely undermanned. So they sent me to DS "C" school and made me a DS display tech. Then in 99, DS was going away and merging with ET and FC depending on your NEC. I happened to have two NEC's with one going ET and one FC so I was given a choice and picked FC. They are all pretty much the same but in my opinion Navy ET's are the tops when it comes to military technical training.

It has probably changed since then but in the 90's it was often ET's doing the information systems stuff. One of my best friends was an ET on my ship and was put in charge of all the information systems stuff on the boat which launched him into a nice civilian IT career.
  • nato76nato76 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Technowiz wrote:
    I got out in 99 as an FC. My situation was pretty unique because I started out as a nuke ET. Got through ET school but washed out of nuclear power school. This was in 95 which might be before your time but they had a rate called DS, Data Systems Technician and at that time they were extremely undermanned. So they sent me to DS "C" school and made me a DS display tech. Then in 99, DS was going away and merging with ET and FC depending on your NEC. I happened to have two NEC's with one going ET and one FC so I was given a choice and picked FC. They are all pretty much the same but in my opinion Navy ET's are the tops when it comes to military technical training.

It has probably changed since then but in the 90's it was often ET's doing the information systems stuff. One of my best friends was an ET on my ship and was put in charge of all the information systems stuff on the boat which launched him into a nice civilian IT career.

I thought I was the only DS (Data Systems Technician) alive. I started as a DS and was forced to convert to ET. I started in PC repair on the ship and was promoted to admin later. Got out in Jan 2002 which was the worst time for IT. Glad to hear from other squids.
    Did you get a chance to work with any of that really high tech military hardware? You know like the reel to reel tape drive with the vacuum chambers? icon_wink.gif
    When I did my 1st too ships all they gear was really outdated. When I got to a staff command all the gear was pretty updated and moved to desktops. All in all, I still say the navy so far is one of the best decisions I made in life.
  • IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey all, yes, I`m in Japan right now.. but I`m not in the military anymore.. I was in the Navy as well.. Lots of squids on this board.. I was actually a CT when I was in the Navy, but somehow after I got out I started work at the Pentagon as a Comm. Electronics Tech and then moved back to Japan to work for a company as an Electronics Tech. Currently, I`m just attending school and using the G.I. Bill for school and for certs. G.I. Bill will pay for certs even if you don`t pass the tests.. I`m not working anymore.. I`m just focusing on finishing my degree, but if a job was to present itself within the IT field, then I might jump on it to get exp. I just turned down a job doing Electronics Tech work.. tired of having companies see me as an ET when I want to show myself as being in the IT field.. ... so yeah... my wife is working and I am going to school.. (Feel like a bum sometimes... haha!) Good thing is that we don`t have any bills and money isn`t a problem.. I mean, I`m not going to be going on any vacations soon.. but we can go out to eat once in a while..

I`m going to take the Sec+ here next month and Net+ afterwards.. I`d like to focus on CCNA, but I`m not sure which is best to go for.. a CCNA or a MCSA.. both of which take a lot of time..