MCSA to MCSE: Security Path

bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have completed the MCSA requirements, and I'm one elective away from MCSA: Security. My overall goal is MCSE: Security.

What do you think would be the best order for taking 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, and 70-299?

Right now, I'm leaning towards 299 first since I already have the training materials I need for it (MS Press, CBT Nuggets, and Transcender), and it would instantly upgrade me to MCSA: Security. Since 299 and 298 look like they have a decent amount of overlap, I'm looking at 298 as my second test, followed by 293 and then 294.
Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think it's going to matter a great deal. Do you actually care about getting the other designations earlier on (i.e. a raise is depending on)? If it doesn't matter, I think you'd have the easiest time going 293, 294, and then the security exams around the same time. If you skip 293 and 294, you're going to have some extra reading to do in order to get PKI and a lot of AD stuff, like group policies down. It's certainly not impossible, and putting in the extra work up-front will definitely make those exams easier later on.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You could also consider doing the Security+ since that counts as an elective towards both MCSA and MCSE Security.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Getting MCSA: Security first isn't that important. If taking 293 and 294 first will make 298 and 299 easier, I'm all for it. I'll just have to shell out the money for books, etc. sooner. :)

I'm planning on doing Security+ later on as part of the Western Governor's University program, but I hate the idea of wasting money I've already spent on training materials, and I'm always up for learning more stuff, so I definitely plan on taking 70-299. I bought the MCSA: Security bundles from CBT Nuggets and Transcender, which include 70-299, so along with the MS PRess book I picked up, I have everything I need for that one.

I ended up taking the 70-227 (ISA 2000) just before it was retired just because I didn't want to let the CBT Nuggets, which they still include with MCSA: Security, go to waste. :) I'll probably go for 70-351 after I'm done with my MCSE: Security just to get that MCTS under my belt.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Keep in mind you do not need to get 70-299 anymore. It's an elective. You could instead go for 70-350 and 351 to serve as your two electives (or substitute as you like anything else), and get 70-298.

I would recommend one exam be 70-351 at least. Several reasons: 1. it's a firewall application, 2. there is some demand for ISA, 3. You get MCTS certification as well.
    Good luck to all!
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I would recommend one exam be 70-351 at least. Several reasons: 1. it's a firewall application, 2. there is some demand for ISA, 3. You get MCTS certification as well.

+1
    4. It broaden your skill set, so you have mcse 2003 but havent done only windwos 2003 exams.
    5.Its actually a very nice product. icon_wink.gif
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • DaylongDaylong Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went for the 70-299 after MCSA and I totally underestimated it, I have Sec+ so I have a basic understanding of the concepts...but not so much as they apply to Windows exclusively, after reading this and a couple other posts I think I'm going to put off 70-299 until after 293 and 294.
    In a way I feel like I wasted the study time since I will have to go back over all the material when I get back to 299, but maybe I will have a better understanding of it.
    Linux+ in progress