How did you get your job?

unknowniconunknownicon Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, i'm just curious how others got there job. Offer tips/advice on how to get one if you can

I got mine during a high school internship created and maintain a small network of 1 server + around 15 clients and growing. I was pretty much handed the job because i started for "free" but after 2 months of working and after graduation highschool i was offered as a part time job.

How'd you get yours?

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I got my current job on monster.com
    Dustin Leefers
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    personal networking. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    They found my resume on monster.com.
    Good luck to all!
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    Referral from an ex-employee (so personal networking). It pays to be fair to your employees, they may just help you get your next job.

Take Care,
    --Coop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    my current job was from an internal promotion to a different division within the same company. i had to relocate etc but sadly its turned out pretty bad so far...
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A recruiter found me on (I think) Monster. My current position was unadvertised; I guess they were trying to be selective instead of having to weed through a bunch of resumes.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dice.com and great interview skills
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Personal networking
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    careerbuilder.com

My customer service experience that landed me the job, not my technical skills. icon_cool.gif
  • 1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    I was contacted after listing my resume on monster.com (no recruiters were involved)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only job I've ever gotten through a formal interview was at a hardware store when I was 15. The five after that were all through social networking, and I was basically just offered jobs because people liked me and knew what I was capable of.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Social networking (IRC). I got both jobs, my first and current, this way.
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    leefdaddy wrote:
    I got my current job on monster.com

+1
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I got my current job through craigslist.org. The company posted up looking for a network admin and I got the edge on everyone else just because I had experience with AutoCAD and Photoshop and I knew how to smile during my interview.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Got my first one remembering what a former coworker told em about how his buddy worked there.. I applied, interviewed well and got it.. Current one, on a whim thinking I wasnt qualified for it I applied anyway the day before it closed, figuring the worst they could say is no. Interviewed very well, was in the process of all my certs and emphasised my passion for IT and it really turned out well. Goes to show, no matter what, if you think you can handle it, apply for it.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I got my job by promising I'd donate $10 a month to the capital campaign.
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Went to technical school that sent my resume to employers a couple of weeks before I was graduating. Ended up getting an interview, which I tend to be pretty good at, and they hired me the next day. This is a rarity though, especially because I didn't actually do that applying.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I got my job from an online career fair on my school portal.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got mine the old way.....I saw an ad in the paper.
  • ScottFernScottFern Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Recruiter contacted me about the job. She saw my resume on some career site. Wasn't advertised as far as I know.
  • flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've always said it's not what you know but who you know (personal networking). I am good friends with a bartender at my current employer. He is drinking buddies with our SysAdmin. He introduced me to the SysAdmin, I got my foot in the door and then landed the job.
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Personal networking here

It seems that personal networking goes a very long way. Your more likely to get hired if the company who are applying with already likes you. I've actually seen very under qualified people get jobs because they had friends/family on the inside.

Without a doubt unfair but true.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personal Networking
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Working at a help desk, one of my callers really liked me for what ever reason. Turns out the person was the head of a division of the company that was expanding so they needed someone... so they offered me a job.
    -Daniel
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personal Networking here at TE.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    A recruiter contacted me, I think he found my resume on career builder.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown