Exam Cram vs Sybex

grunjhedgrunjhed Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are everyone's thoughts on this? I am looking for a second book as a source and wondering which is better as far as getting into the nitty gritty for the exam, ie. who felt which was better aimed at the exam's curriculum specifically.

Comments

• cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    grunjhed wrote:
    What are everyone's thoughts on this? I am looking for a second book as a source and wondering which is better as far as getting into the nitty gritty for the exam, ie. who felt which was better aimed at the exam's curriculum specifically.

Are using MS Press as a primary book?

Look into Syngress books I have used their books on several tests and been VERY happy with them. Their books are very objective driven. Next would be Sybex. I have read ExamCram for some Comptia tests but have been unimpressed compared to the other sources I listed. Even the name suggests they do not get into the "nitty gritty" you are looking for.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • grunjhedgrunjhed Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cacharo wrote:
    Are using MS Press as a primary book?

Look into Syngress books I have used their books on several tests and been VERY happy with them. Their books are very objective driven. Next would be Sybex. I have read ExamCram for some Comptia tests but have been unimpressed compared to the other sources I listed. Even the name suggests they do not get into the "nitty gritty" you are looking for.

Yes, I will be using the MS Press books to learn and understand the subject matter. I was looking then for a book to use as a cross-reference/swatting/exam focus material. Hence why I zoned in on the Exam Cram as its kinda what I want.

Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong, when I said "nitty gritty for the exam" I meant does the book get into the exam-based question rather than spend hours and hours learning extra supplemental info that is good for understanding but not for final week/two swatting.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I tend to find there's not a whole lot of difference between exam driven books in that none of them alone will get you all the knowledge to pass the exams.

I tend to pick up one of the exam books, then find a non-exam driven but definitive resource on the product, and use it to find information or better understand topics that I don't feel like I understood by reading those sections in the exam book. These are often the product Resource Kits, or something similar.
    Good luck to all!
  • grunjhedgrunjhed Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I tend to find there's not a whole lot of difference between exam driven books in that none of them alone will get you all the knowledge to pass the exams.

I tend to pick up one of the exam books, then find a non-exam driven but definitive resource on the product, and use it to find information or better understand topics that I don't feel like I understood by reading those sections in the exam book. These are often the product Resource Kits, or something similar.

Thats an interesting thought, didnt even think about using a non-exam based book. Thanks!
    I really suggest stearing clear of the exam cram books, or any of the abbreviated exam books for that matter. They will really not be any good as a supplement to the MS Press books. Sybex is OK early on for the 270 but I felt it losing value on the 290 and didn't use it past that. I also picked up one of the MS Admnistrator's Guides which has been a help on several tests. Feel free to read some of the pass threads in any particular test to see what other people are using and passing. Likewise read the failed threads as well to see what to stay away from. Syngress offers inexpensive pdf formats of their books as well, <$20 is a great price even if you only use it for a couple chapters to clear things up.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
    grunjhed wrote:
    Sorry, maybe I worded it wrong, when I said "nitty gritty for the exam" I meant does the book get into the exam-based question rather than spend hours and hours learning extra supplemental info that is good for understanding but not for final week/two swatting.

The "Exam based" questions in almost any book are very lacking. From my experience they are virtually nothing like what you come across on the exam, they are just too simple. If you want a true feel of what the test questions and sims will be like pick up practice exam engines from transcender or selftestsoftware.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    For the 290 I used the MS Press book and then on test day I spent a few hours checking select areas of the ExamCram book. I found it pretty useful for supplementing some areas I had missed with the MS Press i.e. performance monitoring and IIS. Of course I didn't do the greatest of jobs studying from the MS book but the ExamCram did live up to its name for cramming just before the exam. So I would recommend it for the last minute.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/