Moving to other city (New York)

pesinetpesinet Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, everyone
I want to introduce this topic because a need some advice. I live in US (Miami) and i plan to move to NY. I working right now like Server Administrator in my company for 2 years and 3 month. I have some Certification (A+, Network+, MCP, MCTS Vista, MCTS CS, MCTS Windows Server 2008 AD, NI, MCITP Server Administrator, Apple ACHDS 10.4, ACTC 10.4, ACSP 10.5), my company don't want to raise my salary and my wife is studing a Master in Communication in New York, she is going to finish this December.
My q. I want to lift the company, get a better job and joint to my wife in NY. I think that is a good desicion, but i am afraid to lift my jobs to find another in other city.

Some advice Please.

Pesinet
CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP 70-210, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCITP 70-646, ACHDS 10.4, ACTC 10.4, ACSP 10.5, MCTS 70-620, MCITP 70-623.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Try finding a job there first before you jump up and go. Jump onto the job boards and send out a bunch of applications and see what fish bite. You may be able to land yourself a job before you go.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Number one you sound like a B@D @ss admin, so GO FOR IT.

But listen to undomeil, get something lined up first. I bet you will find plenty of work in any major city. Go to the major job boards, put in the zip code for the area in NY you want to work in, then start applying.

You will certainly get hits, and then see if you can work out them flying you up there for interviews.

Just keep in mind that I am sure Miami is very expensive to live, so is NY, so make sure they don't short change you salary wise.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    liven wrote:
    Just keep in mind that I am sure Miami is very expensive to live, so is NY, so make sure they don't short change you salary wise.

Ya, NYC is expensive like no other city in the US. Make sure to check your salary and compare it to jobs available. I'm currently looking for a house in Philly and I plugged in NYC for giggles and your average home price was 400k.

I've had a couple of friends who rent in Brooklyn, < 800 sq ft, 1200 to 1500 a mo.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Salary in Miami-Dade County FL:
    $50,000
    Comparable salary in New York (Manhattan) NY:
    $90,217.58

If you move from Miami-Dade County FL to New York (Manhattan) NY...

Groceries will cost: 41.334% more
    Housing will cost: 174.378% more
    Utilities will cost: 49.142% more
    Transportation will cost: 6.7% more
    Healthcare will cost: 13.469% more

But if money is no object than NYC is where you want to be. . . . . Or maybe London.
    icon_cool.gif
  • GeekboyGeekboy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pwjohnston wrote:
    liven wrote:

Ya, NYC is expensive like no other city in the US. Make sure to check your salary and compare it to jobs available. I'm currently looking for a house in Philly and I plugged in NYC for giggles and your average home price was 400k.

I've had a couple of friends who rent in Brooklyn, < 800 sq ft, 1200 to 1500 a mo.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Salary in Miami-Dade County FL:
    $50,000
    Comparable salary in New York (Manhattan) NY:
    $90,217.58

If you move from Miami-Dade County FL to New York (Manhattan) NY...

Groceries will cost: 41.334% more
    Housing will cost: 174.378% more
    Utilities will cost: 49.142% more
    Transportation will cost: 6.7% more
    Healthcare will cost: 13.469% more

But if money is no object than NYC is where you want to be. . . . . Or maybe London.
    icon_cool.gif

NYC is a good place and I think you will have no problem finding a job. Just keep in mind that it's quite expensive and you will most likely make a little more money here, but you will pay more in daily / living expenses.

Me I want to go to Tampa I'm tirde of the big city hustle and bustle... but too chicken. Good Luck icon_wink.gif
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just spent the week in NY. I had lunch out on the town after attending some Microsoft training, and it cost..... no joke $26 for a burger, fries and a coke. :)
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just spent the week in NY. I had lunch out on the town after attending some Microsoft training, and it cost..... no joke $26 for a burger, fries and a coke. :)

I once spent a week in downtown Manhattan for less than $300, including food/travel expense/lodging/tickets. Got to stay in an $700k apartment for FREE. icon_cool.gif
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Find a job there first and then move. A lot of companies will fly you out after doing phone screening.

Good luck and have fun in the snow once you get your new job.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Double post. Delete.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good thing that you have Apple certification. You should able to find something.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I really love working in NYC, just moved back to NY from PA. Having worked my whole career in the Poconos and Allentown, NY is really a big adjustment. Much higher expectations, competition and salary icon_wink.gif

Sometimes you gotta put your work in, even though I'm pretty experienced (5 years) and working as a Systems Engineer, I still had to settle for a 3rd shift (12AM-8AM) shift. I did get a very large bonus for working this shift, and it sucks being alone a lot of the time, but you really meet brilliant guys who know their stuff.

It can be a an adjustment to the way of life and how fast paced everything is. At least it was for me, but if you could find a job you enjoy, go for it!
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    New York is a great place to work if you like the hustle and bustle of it. Just be careful and dont go crazy with an apartment. Find a place in one of the outer boroughs or suburbs.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like your well qualified and have the experiance. As others have said i would find a job before moving because even if you have savings to fall back on they will soon be ate up by high costs of living in NYC.

I recently done a similar thing - i moved to Edinburgh. Absolutely fantastic city. But of course higher costs of living etc but your wage does slightly increase because of this.

You have to remember its not just finding a job which is key, its settling into the city, making new friends etc etc which also count, otherwise it may get loanly from time to time - i know you will have your gf but you'll miss the stuff you do with your male friends. But i would go for it - it will be a fantastic life experiance and even if you move back home - or anywhere else - in a few years then at least youo can say you've always done it! otherwise you'll probably regret it in a few years.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • pesinetpesinet Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all reply, they are very helpfull
    CompTIA A+, Network+, MCP 70-210, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCITP 70-646, ACHDS 10.4, ACTC 10.4, ACSP 10.5, MCTS 70-620, MCITP 70-623.